Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progressive loaders?

Progressive loaders?

High guys, hope you are all having a good Christmas?

I'm considering getting a progressive loader to load my hand gun ammo, just 9mm at the minute but who knows what else and other handguns ill have in the new future. I already load for center-fire rifles single stage etc but wanting to use a progressive to bang out large volume amounts of ammmo for the pistols.

What progressive loader would you recommend, i was thinking about the Lee 1000 kit..any good? Don't want to pay a fortune for it as i don't think for hand gun ammo the real expensive loaders would make any real difference when it comes to performance and accuracy.

What would you recommend guys and where would you get it from?

Cheers guys

Steve.

If you are serious about getting a progressive press forget about the Lee and buy yourself a Dillon 550. You won't regret it, it's in an entirely different class and you can if you wish load rifle with it also if you want to.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

or an ammo masdter
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

I have the Lee Loadmaster which by all accounts is superior to the Pro1000, however, it was a complete pain to set up and now is only used on 3 of the 5 stages (powder drop, bullet seat and factory crimp) to produce .44mag. The built-in primer system is very unreliable and a PITA to use in practice. I have other Lee presses that I am more than happy with so I'm not knocking Lee only their progressive presses.

As has been suggested a Dillon would be an excellent choice or (what I was going to buy but was out of stock) the Hornady LnL progressive.

Best place to get one is in the USA if you're over that way, no problem bringing presses or dies etc. back as they are exempt from ITAR restrictions

Hi, I have a Dillon RL550B and have been reloading rifle ammunition for several years. There is no doubt the equipment allows for fast reloading, if that is your requirement. The main issue I have encountered is the accuracy of the automatic powder loaders. They work very well on spherical powders, however cylindrical powder can result in + or - a grn due to the measure slide arrangement. Phaedra, is correct the best value is to acquire in the good old USA(I did via hand baggage, word of advice - keep the user manual with you to show security), or order from Dillon direct who will ship overseas, alternatively eden trading are appointed as a Dillon trader.

As you sayXsubmarier the type of powder will affect the accuracy of the loads thrown but that is true of all powder throwers. I have owned and used powder throwers made by several different manufacturers and have found the Dillon to be more accurate than several others. I generally load most of my rifle ammo using a single stage press but have occasionally loaded .222 with the dillon using ball powders that meter consistantly.

When loading for rifle I often throw low charges using the Dillon powder thrower and then use a trickler to get the correct charge. I have never found charges to differ by more than a few tenths of a grain even with the coarsest of powders.

That's useful to know about Eden Trading I must make a note of that, I've always dealt direct with Dillon.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I have a Dillon 550 its good piece of kit as for the auto powder dispencer it works fine with me I use Accurate No2 pistol powder to load my 38 spl and 357 mag in my underlever and LBR and its consistant. avoid flake type powder in my experiance.
    BTW I can easy load 200 per hour on the 550. I have a friend that has the Lee progersive and he says the powderr dispencer is not consistant at all (may be its him) anmd he wieghs each case.

I did see that Octics Warehouse stock Dillon as well

I had a Lee1000 back when I used to shoot alot of 38 Special and it worked okay but it always to me looked like a Rube Goldberg of sorts . I believe if price were no object I go with the Dillon 650 or 1050 and if price were an issue I might look long and hard at the Lee Loadmaster .

If Ponsness Warren made a progressive for pistol cartridges and I personally wanted one again thats the direction I'd take . I've used the PW products for well over 25 years with better then excellent results on shotguns in the progresive and single stage and with rifle/pistol that was not single stage and not progressive either .

Thanks for the replies so far guys. What's the main difference between the Lee1000 and the loadmasters. I'm not up to speed with progressives, just feel hard on paying out for the likes of a Dillon for nocking up high volume pistol ammo. Are they really that much better? Would the Lee1000 or load master not do the job ?

cheers guys
    steve.

Quote Originally Posted by 247sniper View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far guys. What's the main difference between the Lee1000 and the loadmasters. I'm not up to speed with progressives, just feel hard on paying out for the likes of a Dillon for nocking up high volume pistol ammo. Are they really that much better? Would the Lee1000 or load master not do the job ?

cheers guys
    steve.

If you have a Lee 1000 and a Loadmaster side by side the LoadMaster just looks stronger .