Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Redding Bushings

Established Poster

Which Redding Bushings

I'm just thinking of getting into reloading for .223 and I'm planning on getting some redding competition bushing dies. At first I'll be using spent brass I've saved, mainly Hornady, Remington & Prvi, then I'll probably use Lapua.

Can anyone suggest which bushing sizes I should buy?

Thanks!

measure the neck size off a loaded round cross section wise then subtract 2 thou

or

watch this and pm me if you have any more questions

atb spud
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by a1baz View Post
    I'm just thinking of getting into reloading for .223 and I'm planning on getting some redding competition bushing dies. At first I'll be using spent brass I've saved, mainly Hornady, Remington & Prvi, then I'll probably use Lapua.

Can anyone suggest which bushing sizes I should buy?

Thanks!
    Why not try a Lee collet die first? Lee Collet Neck Sizer Die 223 Remington - Midway UK The bushings aren't cheap. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Why not try a Lee collet die first? Lee Collet Neck Sizer Die 223 Remington - Midway UK The bushings aren't cheap. Regards JCS
    +1 The Lee Collet die works very well.

As to squeaks 'Titanium Nitrate' bushings well....

I do wish that correct nomenclature was used, this is why we have all the bullet 'head' crap foisted upon us!

Link to Redding regarding bush selection.
    Last edited by j0e_bl0ggs; 27-12-2012 at 11:21. Reason: link

If you're new to reloading I would give the bushing dies a miss until your making good consistent ammunition with standard dies - The Lee collet dies work well, but then good ammunition has been made with basic standards dies for many years. If you still want to go ahead and go down the bushing route then you really need to splash out on some decent cases as well before you start, trying to get good results, ie. straight rounds with controlled even neck tension, with mixed brass, even with the same headstamp will be counter-productive.

Just guessing at the prices, maybe 200 for a Redding competition die set or about half that for just the bushing die, say three bushings at 12 each, 100 Lapua cases 50 - Once your getting into bushing dies then you'll probably want to start thinking about neck turning etc.

I would say there's a lot more to worry about than jumping in at the deep end with micrometer adjustable seating depth and varying the neck tension a thou either way.

I have nothing against the competition bushing dies, I use them, but then I also use Lee/Redding standard dies as well.

Seriously! Why are you using Redding competition Dies? Are you using a competition-grade rifle? I shoot gobs of .223 (and shoot is well, if I do say so myself) and I use Lee Collet dies, a Lee Standard FL sizer, and sometimes, an RCBS Small Base die set when it's appropriate. Not a competition die in the lot and quarter inch groups on paper.

I think someone is selling you a bill of goods....~Muir

SD Regular
    I would agree. I have only ever used standard RCBS dies (albeit sometimes the small base variety) and have found them ore than I can ever be accurate in A STANDARD STALKING OR HUNTING RIFLE. Indeed with my old BRNO ZKK600 in 270 Winchester I once put three shots, over iron sights, into a clover leaf of under 1/2" at 100 yards off sandbags.

I think that you will be wasting your money for something that, quite frankly, you won't see any benefit from and that any sort of quarry here in the UK won't and doesn't need. Prairie dogs at four hundred yards in the USA? Maybe. But here in the UK unless it's cros at a quarter of a mile I really cannot see it being money wasted.

Established Poster
    I guess I've always been a "buy once, cry once" kind of person. When getting into a new hobby I'm always of the opinion that you might as well get the best gear you can afford at the time, in order to save money in the long run.

However, in this case I bow to experience and take your point about their being more things to consider when mastering the art of reloading before worrying about a thou here and there.

Also, if you're shooting 1/4" groups using equipment 1/10th of the cost of the redding gear, it seems like the extra money would be wasted.

Established Poster
    Just watched the vid Spud, very informative! It's like you knew I was going to ask this question.

Not wanting to start an argument here but just playing devils advocate; if these other guys can get 1/4" groups with Lee at ~20 as a posed to 200 for Redding, why spend the extra as I presume you prefer them?

Quote Originally Posted by a1baz View Post
    Just watched the vid Spud, very informative! It's like you knew I was going to ask this question.

Not wanting to start an argument here but just playing devils advocate; if these other guys can get 1/4" groups with Lee at ~20 as a posed to 200 for Redding, why spend the extra as I presume you prefer them?
    Of course, you need to have a rifle capable of 1/4" groups, right? Until you are certain that you do, stick with the basics. Bushed dies are really the realm of the custom rifle / bench rest crowd. In a standard factory rifle, for the most part, just a firm grip is good -and you can get that from standard factory dies. Lee collet are good, but I like a FL sizer as well. Remember: You can seldom buy accuracy. You craft it by careful consideration and absolute consistency in everything you do.~Muir