Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun misfire

Shotgun misfire

I have an old wm Powell side by side box lock which i have owned without fault for 20years and it has been serviced regularly. Today I had a misfire in the first barrel whereby the cartridge primer had a light strike but did not go off. This happened again and I then fired the cartridge successfully in the second barrel. I do have a local gunsmith that I can use. Before I speak to him do you have any suggestions as to what the problem could be? Pin? Springs? This will help me ensure I get the best service locally.
    Many thanks.

Almost certainly a spring problem. Not a big issue for a gunsmith. If its a broken pin, you will see the pin is fractured. Was it a different brand / batch of cartridges - some primers can be tougher than others. If so short term fix is to go back to a brand that you know works.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Almost certainly a spring problem. Not a big issue for a gunsmith. If its a broken pin, you will see the pin is fractured. Was it a different brand / batch of cartridges - some primers can be tougher than others. If so short term fix is to go back to a brand that you know works.
    Thanks, that's very helpful. Same brand of cartridges I have used all season, never had a problem before.

Yes. Probably the pin or the spring....

But you brought it on yourself, messing about with shotguns. Just asking for trouble, I tell you.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Yes. Probably the pin or the spring....

But you brought it on yourself, messing about with shotguns. Just asking for trouble, I tell you.~Muir
    Ha ha!

It might be worth giving a quick squirt of cleaner/lubricant down the firing pin hole from an aerosol. There may be a bit of grit there.

Also we used a rough and ready test to compare the two firing pin springs. With the gun dismantled and cocked, put a pound coin over the firing pin hold the stock vertical and pull that trigger, then repeat on the other. If there is a noticeable difference the spring is weak.

Sometimes the primers are set a little low in the cases. Not uncommon I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter1 View Post
    Sometimes the primers are set a little low in the cases. Not uncommon I'm afraid.
    Strange that it happened twice in the space of an hour, but then again 2 duff shells from same box could be a Friday afternoon 'lemon' batch. Still, I now don't have the same confidence in the gun, even if the shells were at fault. So I need to get the ok from a gunsmith, I guess. Will try the pound coin trick and see what happens.

As Wm Powell are still in business might it not be a good idea to contact them. I found them to be most helpful over the BSA sporting rifle they only retailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    As Wm Powell are still in business might it not be a good idea to contact them. I found them to be most helpful over the BSA sporting rifle they only retailed.
    I know they have recently been taken over by Osborne, and have moved to Oxford I think, but I guess they still have a few old boys there. I contacted them when I bought the rifle originally and they sent me a copy of the bill of sale.......from 1872 !!