Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do cabinets really have to be fixed to building?

Do cabinets really have to be fixed to building?

As per the question, what is the law? Do gun cabinets really have to be fixed to the building by LAW, or is that just advice that you can choose to take or not??

having read the Home Office guidelines, I am not sure frankly. Any one know the definitive answer??

no they do not

Have you read Appendix 7 to the HO guidelines.

Seems fairly prescriptive to me, the options being cabinets, safes, gun rooms or for a single firearm a clamp.

Firearms Act, 1968, Amendment Acts 1988 & 1997
    The Firearms Rules, 1998 state “firearms or shot guns to which a certificate relates must be stored securely at all times so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, access to the guns by unauthorised persons.”

For cabinets and safes under 20cwt
    Provision of at least 4 fixing holes to take not less than 10 mm diameter fastening devices. The holes to be spaced to provide maximum binding of cabinet to structure.
    Last edited by Rushjob; 27-12-2012 at 22:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushjob View Post
    Have you read Appendix 7 to the HO guidelines.

Seems fairly prescriptive to me, the options being cabinets, safes, gun rooms or for a single firearm a clamp.

Firearms Act, 1968, Amendment Acts 1988 & 1997
    The Firearms Rules, 1998 state “firearms or shot guns to which a certificate relates must be stored securely at all times so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, access to the guns by unauthorised persons.”

For cabinets and safes under 20cwt
    Provision of at least 4 fixing holes to take not less than 10 mm diameter fastening devices. The holes to be spaced to provide maximum binding of cabinet to structure.
    Hmmm. I'm not sure about appendix 7. It only gives guidance that my cabinet must have 4 fixing hole etc as you say above. It doesn't say you must use them. Somewhere in the guidance is says heavy cabinets don't have to be fixed. Like I said, what's the law vs what is advice??

Seems sensible advice. If it weighs a ton no need.

If the floor can hold the weight you can get a few fixings in.

What are you trying to get around?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Think rushjob covered it all already in his reply.
    If your cabinet is heavier than 20cwt then it doesn't need to be fixed.
    If it is lighter than 20cwt then it is to be provided with 4 fixing holes ........

You might try arguing with the FEO when he comes to inspect it that the guidance, while mentioning the holes doesn't say that they must be used, but I think we all know what the FEO will say to that.

Why cause yourself problems with the FEO for the price of 4 rawl bolts?

Also - even if it wasn;t in the recommendations that the cabinet be fixed to the wall i'd still do it myself for my own peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Seems sensible advice. If it weighs a ton no need.

If the floor can hold the weight you can get a few fixings in.

What are you trying to get around?
    nothing really, just curious as mine hasn't been fixed since I got fac some 20 years ago. Last visit the previous FLO said the cabinet was ok unfixed as it is fairly heavy . Got my renewal next month with possibly new people visiting, so I guess I am just checking my facts in case of any discussion.

If it's too heavy to move and the FEO asks how heavy, the answer is 21 cwt!

If one man can move it, I'd screw it down

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Think rushjob covered it all already in his reply.
    If your cabinet is heavier than 20cwt then it doesn't need to be fixed.
    If it is lighter than 20cwt then it is to be provided with 4 fixing holes ........

You might try arguing with the FEO when he comes to inspect it that the guidance, while mentioning the holes doesn't say that they must be used, but I think we all know what the FEO will say to that.

Why cause yourself problems with the FEO for the price of 4 rawl bolts?

Also - even if it wasn;t in the recommendations that the cabinet be fixed to the wall i'd still do it myself for my own peace of mind.
    It is certainly lighter than 20cwt. Think part of my issue is that the fixing holes butt up to a stud wall, so can't see the benefit. Cabinet also is disguised as a piece of furniture so not obvious that its a gun cabinet. I have had piece of mind for 20 years as it is, so I guess that is my main issue. Do understand your point and where you are coming fromthough.

Biffo,

See where you are coming from. Still "think" 21 cwt.

Stan