Do cabinets really have to be fixed to building?

biffo

As per the question, what is the law? Do gun cabinets really have to be fixed to the building by LAW, or is that just advice that you can choose to take or not??

having read the Home Office guidelines, I am not sure frankly. Any one know the definitive answer??

Have you read Appendix 7 to the HO guidelines.

Seems fairly prescriptive to me, the options being cabinets, safes, gun rooms or for a single firearm a clamp.

Firearms Act, 1968, Amendment Acts 1988 & 1997
The Firearms Rules, 1998 state “firearms or shot guns to which a certificate relates must be stored securely at all times so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, access to the guns by unauthorised persons.”

For cabinets and safes under 20cwt
Provision of at least 4 fixing holes to take not less than 10 mm diameter fastening devices. The holes to be spaced to provide maximum binding of cabinet to structure.

Last edited:
Have you read Appendix 7 to the HO guidelines.

Seems fairly prescriptive to me, the options being cabinets, safes, gun rooms or for a single firearm a clamp.

Firearms Act, 1968, Amendment Acts 1988 & 1997
The Firearms Rules, 1998 state “firearms or shot guns to which a certificate relates must be stored securely at all times so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, access to the guns by unauthorised persons.”

For cabinets and safes under 20cwt
Provision of at least 4 fixing holes to take not less than 10 mm diameter fastening devices. The holes to be spaced to provide maximum binding of cabinet to structure.

Hmmm. I'm not sure about appendix 7. It only gives guidance that my cabinet must have 4 fixing hole etc as you say above. It doesn't say you must use them. Somewhere in the guidance is says heavy cabinets don't have to be fixed. Like I said, what's the law vs what is advice??

Seems sensible advice. If it weighs a ton no need.

If the floor can hold the weight you can get a few fixings in.

What are you trying to get around?

Think rushjob covered it all already in his reply.
If your cabinet is heavier than 20cwt then it doesn't need to be fixed.
If it is lighter than 20cwt then it is to be provided with 4 fixing holes ........

You might try arguing with the FEO when he comes to inspect it that the guidance, while mentioning the holes doesn't say that they must be used, but I think we all know what the FEO will say to that.

Why cause yourself problems with the FEO for the price of 4 rawl bolts?

Also - even if it wasn;t in the recommendations that the cabinet be fixed to the wall i'd still do it myself for my own peace of mind.

Seems sensible advice. If it weighs a ton no need.

If the floor can hold the weight you can get a few fixings in.

What are you trying to get around?

nothing really, just curious as mine hasn't been fixed since I got fac some 20 years ago. Last visit the previous FLO said the cabinet was ok unfixed as it is fairly heavy . Got my renewal next month with possibly new people visiting, so I guess I am just checking my facts in case of any discussion.

Think rushjob covered it all already in his reply.
If your cabinet is heavier than 20cwt then it doesn't need to be fixed.
If it is lighter than 20cwt then it is to be provided with 4 fixing holes ........

You might try arguing with the FEO when he comes to inspect it that the guidance, while mentioning the holes doesn't say that they must be used, but I think we all know what the FEO will say to that.

Why cause yourself problems with the FEO for the price of 4 rawl bolts?

Also - even if it wasn;t in the recommendations that the cabinet be fixed to the wall i'd still do it myself for my own peace of mind.
It is certainly lighter than 20cwt. Think part of my issue is that the fixing holes butt up to a stud wall, so can't see the benefit. Cabinet also is disguised as a piece of furniture so not obvious that its a gun cabinet. I have had piece of mind for 20 years as it is, so I guess that is my main issue. Do understand your point and where you are coming fromthough.

No it does not have to be bolted, that is just a recombination.

Plus you wont be able to lift mine unless you own a JCB !:D

I think that you need to come at this from a different angle. Let us presume that you are out at work and your house is unoccupied, some career criminals pay you a visit. How easily can they gain access to your cabinet and how quickly can they remove it? atb Tim

I think that you need to come at this from a different angle. Let us presume that you are out at work and your house is unoccupied, some career criminals pay you a visit. How easily can they gain access to your cabinet and how quickly can they remove it? atb Tim
not very long ,he needs a small angle grinder ,or a drill and a hand nibbler ,

not very long ,he needs a small angle grinder ,or a drill and a hand nibbler ,

This is the problem, we all tend to focus on what will keep the FEO happy and be compliant with HO guidelines when the real issue is what happens when you are burgled. atb Tim

Hi
If your cabinet was accepted by your local Constabulary last time round there is a precedent so you should not need to do any more - I had similar and refused as nothing had changed in the interim. Local Police Service didnt like it one bit (new FEO) but accepted in the end.

It is almost irrelevant if bolted or not as once inside a dwelling mischief-doers have access to 240v and other tools that we all have around in the shed/garage such as anglegrinders etc.

Once loaded with kit it takes at least 2 people to try to move most 5+ cabinets anyway..

L

Last edited:
We have a 5 cwt anvil. One man can barely walk it and it two can just lift it on to its ring. Last time we moved it we used a tractor and loader. There is no way that a 21 cwt weight could be moved by anyone without a machine.

Mate of mine was burgled just before Xmas, north notts.

they ransacked the house, and ripped his cabinet off the wall and took it away, it was passed by the feo last year when he moved in, Im pretty sure some searching questions will be asked,

looking at adding a few more to mine.

Back