Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joint Possession of Rifles???

Joint Possession of Rifles???

Hi all. Iv been scanning this section of SD and I cannot for the life of me find out anything about the joint possession of a firearm. Speaking to my Firearms Officer, she said that it is fine to have my fathers rifle on my ticket as I have an open slot for it, moderator etc but I do not know where to find, or if there is, a joint possession form as such to fill out, or if just a written letter will suffice? Frankly I am stumped!

Looking at the other forms given to me when I received my licence, none seem to fit the category for a joint possession! The acquisition form features nothing on the subject. I have checked both my local constabulary website as well as BASC and neither has been successful.

If any members could shed any light on the subject, or possibly point me in the direction of where to look for such a form or how to go about formulating a letter, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys,

Charles
    Aim Small, Miss Small

I have some shared work firearms.

They were mentioned on a covering letter and came printed on the cert. When we bought a new gun it was entered on my FAC and then we returned my wife's FAC for the gun to be added, with a 2 line covering letter.

If your father wrote:

I give my permission for my son to share my 123 cal rifle SN 123456789.

Sign and return with your FAC.

Don't overcomplicate.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieg43 View Post
    Hi all. Iv been scanning this section of SD and I cannot for the life of me find out anything about the joint possession of a firearm. Speaking to my Firearms Officer, she said that it is fine to have my fathers rifle on my ticket as I have an open slot for it, moderator etc but I do not know where to find, or if there is, a joint possession form as such to fill out, or if just a written letter will suffice? Frankly I am stumped!

Looking at the other forms given to me when I received my licence, none seem to fit the category for a joint possession! The acquisition form features nothing on the subject. I have checked both my local constabulary website as well as BASC and neither has been successful.

If any members could shed any light on the subject, or possibly point me in the direction of where to look for such a form or how to go about formulating a letter, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys,

Charles
    Charles

On my ticket I have all the rifles belonging to the person who runs the stalking where I am a retained stalker. This is so that I can legally possess these rifles when out with clients. It sounds like you need to do the same with your fathers rifle, i.e. have it listed on both yours, and your fathers, tickets.

If so, there is no special form! I just list them on my regular FAC application form with a note that these rifles are also on another ticket (in fact they are on another two tickets) - I include both the other FAC numbers - and they do the same with mine. This ensures that we are all compliant legally when out with clients.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Apache,

Is it really that simple? I trust he would have to include my SN too. Just seems a little odd that there is no form (seeing as the police love a good form or two) that could help make this simpler. I will do as you have said, on the case now!

Willie Gun, I will take your info on listing both SN numbers too.

Many Thanks!

Charles
    Aim Small, Miss Small

I have my Father's rifles on my ticket.
    After I got the neccessary variations, the old fellow wrote the rifles (and mods) onto my FAC, and we then each wrote to our own FLDs, copying in the other's FLD, advising them of the sort-of transfer and explaing what were were doing.
    We had discussed this with the FLDs beforehand, as you had.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieg43 View Post
    Apache,

Is it really that simple? I trust he would have to include my SN too.
    Charles
    SN is serial number of the gun. Never wrote certificate number as sent cert back. It is printed on the other cert that the rifle is borrowed from cert holder 1233456789. There is no mention on my cert that the gun can be borrowed

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Ahh right ok, i see. Do you have to send the certificate back or can you write in the firearm and note that is jointly held, and send a covering letter explaining this?
    Aim Small, Miss Small

I often have a friend to stay with me for stalking, when he comes he often brings a couple of rifles and when not in use would be stored in my cabinet. I spoke to my licensing manager and he added a note to my FAC that any firearms on .......... Ticket issued by lincs constabulary I could borrow and use. This kept me legal at all times. He has several firearms on his FAC including a revolver. It's simple and works, and they have been left with me on several occasions to save transporting to and fro.

Send a letter stating all the details of the firearms / moderators in question, stating that joint ownership is required this should be good enough for your fd. This is providing both parties have got the revelent firearms / conditions on there ticket hope this helps Steve

I have two rifles on my ticket that are owned by two other people

make sure you are very clear that you will have access to the rifle but no access to the owners storage and vice versa (i.e. your mae who leaves his rifle with you can't just pop round and pick it up without you)