Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5/47

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

6.5/47

Anyone using this cal for stalking and fox/vermin control.

what is your opinion of the cal.

thank you

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I run a wildcat in .25 based on the 6X47 Swiss Match case and find it top stuff but the setup is for light (75g) bullets and not the heavy long distance projectiles associated with the calibre you mention.

I only mention this as folks seem to overlook that 6.5 Metric = 0.2559055118 Imperiel!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    I run a wildcat in .25 based on the 6X47 Swiss Match case and find it top stuff but the setup is for light (75g) bullets and not the heavy long distance projectiles associated with the calibre you mention.

I only mention this as folks seem to overlook that 6.5 Metric = 0.2559055118 Imperiel!
    thank you sir

looking at selling both my 20 tac and 243 to fund the new rifle and this takes my fancy, but not 100% sure as yet,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Bob - Speak with Si Snipe and Rabbit Fingers ( john ) - if you want to know about varminting with this cal , - I have seen them both of hitting rabbits aloooong away off.

A guy I know runs a Sako 75 re-barreled in 6.5x47 - He uses a 95 grn Vmax at about 3400 fps - not a pretty sight when it connects with a fox.

Alan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sir-slots-alot View Post
    Bob - Speak with Si Snipe and Rabbit Fingers ( john ) - if you want to know about varminting with this cal , - I have seen them both of hitting rabbits aloooong away off.

A guy I know runs a Sako 75 re-barreled in 6.5x47 - He uses a 95 grn Vmax at about 3400 fps - not a pretty sight when it connects with a fox.

Alan
    Hi Alan

thank you for that, i watched some video last week on the 6.5/47 on long range varmints and it was awesome, not seen any video on deer as yet but im still looking for some.

I'm thinking of selling up and going for 1 rifle for both fox and deer, and in the summer having a rifle that i can load to take out long distance bunny bashing etc.

thank you

bob.

Not to hi-jack your thread, but what would be the heaviest practical wieght bullet you could use in this caliber? I'm a 6.5x55 fan, but this looks like a really interesting caliber. It would make an excellent walking varmint/ deer rifle.

Thanx in advance AB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    Not to hi-jack your thread, but what would be the heaviest practical wieght bullet you could use in this caliber? I'm a 6.5x55 fan, but this looks like a really interesting caliber. It would make an excellent walking varmint/ deer rifle.

Thanx in advance AB
    not sure if the link will work,

> http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpa...?CaliberID=549

bob.

I have used 6.5x47 a bit on deer, does the business with low recoil and no fuss. Absolutely perfect for Roe so long as you reload. So far I have used mainly the Sierra 120g spitzer and it works fine. Scenars have been the most accurate with Nosler BT second. Saying that a bad group off the bench with this rifle would be an inch at 100 so pretty much any load will be ok for stalking accuracy wise. If you are wanting to use 140 grain bullets then the 260 may be a better bet as more case capacity. The only other downside is that there is no factory stalking ammo and the cases and dies are pricey.

Bob

My 243 Sako 75 is away being re-barrelled as we speak in 6.5 x 47 I hope it will do everything that is claimed of it.

From 95-140 grain bullets seem to be the weight range with A-Max allegedly very good

Will let you know when I get it back (Currently in proof house)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maespant View Post
    Bob

My 243 Sako 75 is away being re-barrelled as we speak in 6.5 x 47 I hope it will do everything that is claimed of it.

From 95-140 grain bullets seem to be the weight range with A-Max allegedly very good

Will let you know when I get it back (Currently in proof house)
    thank you bud

who built it please, and let me know how you get on please.

bob.

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    I have used 6.5x47 a bit on deer, does the business with low recoil and no fuss. Absolutely perfect for Roe so long as you reload. So far I have used mainly the Sierra 120g spitzer and it works fine. Scenars have been the most accurate with Nosler BT second. Saying that a bad group off the bench with this rifle would be an inch at 100 so pretty much any load will be ok for stalking accuracy wise. If you are wanting to use 140 grain bullets then the 260 may be a better bet as more case capacity. The only other downside is that there is no factory stalking ammo and the cases and dies are pricey.

thank you sir, im looking at the 120 gr max no higher, but i may go lower.

i'm looking at this to replace the 20 cal and the 243 in one,

i may just sell the 20 tac and have the tikka 595 action rebarreled in 6.5/47 so there ia a way of doing it and keeping the 595 rifle that i have just now.(i would be keeping the 243 barrel as its done nothing round count just now i think is about 370,)

I do reload so i best have a look at the price of the brass and the dies as its going to be used for long range bunnies as well as fox and deer.

bob.