Providing deer to the game dealer.......

stalker.308

My understanding of the law with regards to supplying game to a game dealer is that with your DSC1 and therefore FSA Wild Game Meat Hygiene certificate, you could do so once you have done your checks etc and maintained the cool chain etc etc.

However I have met an abundance of people recently who supply game to the game dealer out of its jacket with no more than their DSC1. Are they as I assume, breaking the law? I often wonder if it is a way for the game dealer to make a few more pounds as he is not paying for the skin that must weigh up to 10kg on some deer, and saves him a job of skinning it or basically people supplying to butchers as opposed to game dealers who are not licensed to take deer in the skin.

If I am right and they are breaking the law, what would you need qualification wise to be able to sell out of the skin whole deer carcasses to a game dealer/butcher?

Anyone selling deer to an AGHE must be registered as Food producer with their local Environmental Health Dept.
If you process venison i.e skin it,you must have a larder with 2 sinks, cleanable walls, proper drainage etc.
DSC1 covers both of these with regards qualifications

Mark
My understanding of the law with regards to supplying game to a game dealer is that with your DSC1 and therefore FSA Wild Game Meat Hygiene certificate, you could do so once you have done your checks etc and maintained the cool chain etc etc.

However I have met an abundance of people recently who supply game to the game dealer out of its jacket with no more than their DSC1. Are they as I assume, breaking the law? I often wonder if it is a way for the game dealer to make a few more pounds as he is not paying for the skin that must weigh up to 10kg on some deer, and saves him a job of skinning it or basically people supplying to butchers as opposed to game dealers who are not licensed to take deer in the skin.

If I am right and they are breaking the law, what would you need qualification wise to be able to sell out of the skin whole deer carcasses to a game dealer/butcher?

Remember you don,t need dsc, you can just have the wgmh ticket, for sale with the skin on, the skin is left on to stop dryin out and contamination of the outer carcass, ( hair everywhere ) .

Anyone selling deer to an AGHE must be registered as Food producer with their local Environmental Health Dept.

Mark
Tell me where you have read this statement, my understanding is as a trained hunter you do not need to be registered as a food business with the EH unless you process it.
Richard

It is not necessary to be FBO registered to sell to an AGHE in the skin, however skinning is classed as processing so an FBO is needed.

To sell Deer to an AGHE you need to be registered as a Food Business

see the flow chart in the Wild Game Handling Guide

My experience is that this whole area is a box of frogs and just like firearms legislation, subject to local 'interpretation'! I have had a fascinating exchange of correspondence with my local authority relating to what I can and cannot do with selling and/or giving away venison as a carcass in skin, processed, butchered, jointed and minced. Their main concern is about traceability and good food hygiene. If a stalker does the job properly there wont be any problems.

View attachment wildgameguide0611.pdf
See the flow chart on page 4. It's a fact and is not open to interpretation. "If you shoot alone or in a party and supply game in feather or fir to an AGHE then you must register as a food business"!!
Tell me where you have read this statement, my understanding is as a trained hunter you do not need to be registered as a food business with the EH unless you process it.
Richard

You dont have to be registered only if you want to supply direct to public freinds etcprocess etc all you do is leave it in its coat fill out a tag job done all covered in depth on the dsc1

Last edited:
That's quite correct. The Primary producers exemption exempts us from registering as a Food Business ONLY if we sell limited quantities of in fur or feather to the final consumer or local retailers who only sell to the final consumer. The trigger is if you supply in fir or in feather game to an Approved Game Handling establishment. Then it is a requirement to register as a food business with your local authority.

Happy new year
Mark
You dont have to be registered only if you want to supply direct to public freinds etcprocess etc all you do is leave it in its coat fill out a tag job done all covered in depth on the dsc1

Forgot to say that if you do any processing at your larder including skinning you are required to register as a food business

Forgot to say that if you do any processing at your larder including skinning you are required to register as a food business

Agree with all you have said. I too looked into this and registered too, just to cover myself. The council to be fair did not know much about the regs and had to earn as such. The utterly sad thing was they called two stalking buisnesses in my area in Dorset and were told....You cannot sell any deer unless a stalker has done a level 2 stalking course. .......On the council vist I cleared that fact up as being total tosh and gave her the true facts. Shocking that the two deer stalking buisnesses in my area would spread such misguided information......I think the word I am looking for is Kerching

Back