Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shotgun reloading

shotgun reloading

just a quick one does antbody onhere reload for shotgun and is it worth doing it

cheers adrian

Only really worth doing for slug and large bore fowling guns.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    And also if you wish to replicate some manufacturers more expensive ranges. E.g. gamebores gordon system loads.

nutty

It's a bit of a faff to be honest, I mainly do a few 3" heavies for 20g.
    It is satisfying though when you get a result, also you can mix shot sizes if you want something a bit different.
    Knowing what I know now not sure it's worth the agro, but there you go.

Or if you shoot a lot of competition and even then it's a toss up. A good friend of mine shoot Sporting Clays and his rounds cost about twenty cents each when he buys an entire "flat" of shells. (100 boxes of 25 per box) He can hardly reload them for that.

All of my shot shell reloading has been black powder and specialty shells for handguns. I confess to having given shotgunning a pass.....~Muir

...and for relative oddities like 16g, plus subsonic loads or moderated guns to enable the use of larger (i.e. more ballistically-efficient) shot than the #7s and #6s loaded in factory ammo.

I load for shotgun ,its simple using an mec 600 it took a while to set up properly to get good crimps but now works a treat i can load good quality loads i got into it to use up a load of lead i had and got given an mec cheap so gave it a go .

and my first home loads

and my first kills with them, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Or if you shoot a lot of competition and even then it's a toss up. A good friend of mine shoot Sporting Clays and his rounds cost about twenty cents each when he buys an entire "flat" of shells. (100 boxes of 25 per box) He can hardly reload them for that.

All of my shot shell reloading has been black powder and specialty shells for handguns. I confess to having given shotgunning a pass.....~Muir
    Muir unless the economics have changed in recent years standard 12 bore shotgun cartridges are actually or at least were much cheaper for us to buy than for you in the U.S. The specialties are however another matter. The reason is or at least was that clay shooting is very popular in Europe and there are numerous manufacturers. It simply wasn't worth our while to load standard loads when you took into account the cost of lead and powder much of which came from the U.S. It's only worth Mereside doing it because he had access to the shot and obtained a press at the right price.
    A few years ago it was actually cheaper to buy shotgun cartridges and dismantle them to get the powder out for reloading pistol ammo than to buy the powder on its own. The lead shot was then a bonus that could be melted to make bullets. Case primer and wad would then be discarded.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I would also add if you are using an older shotgun for fowling you will be able to load cheaper than buying bismuth or tungsten loads but not a huge amount i did go down the road of getting bismuth to make my own shot but couldnt get the qauntity needed to do it but you can buy the shot pre done and the cost of factory bismuth ,tungsten or heavy shot does make it viable,just, atb wayne ps i find it like most hobbys a nice passtime and i can load up quite a lot in a short time also if you want really good qaulity heavy loads with fibre wads i think this is also worth while doing.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    I would also add if you are using an older shotgun for fowling you will be able to load cheaper than buying bismuth or tungsten loads but not a huge amount i did go down the road of getting bismuth to make my own shot but couldnt get the qauntity needed to do it but you can buy the shot pre done and the cost of factory bismuth ,tungsten or heavy shot does make it viable,just, atb wayne ps i find it like most hobbys a nice passtime and i can load up quite a lot in a short time also if you want really good qaulity heavy loads with fibre wads i think this is also worth while doing.

I should add for myself is the satisfaction. Now I used to load alot for my shotguns before I got the stalking bug big time. My longest shot at a game bird was with a B@P game bore home load. The partridge fell 70 yds away. Then the 10 bore using correct components following data and working up I was astounded what it could achieve especially with heavy shot. The tallest shot I attempted took the bird 10 seconds to hit the ground. Now people will say too long too high etc etc and Im exagerating. But both the 2 examples were witnessed by S/D members. Now I.dont advocate long shooting but shooting in your comfort zone IS acceptable.

Nutty