Thread: shotgun adjustable recoil pad.

shotgun adjustable recoil pad.

I have noticed whilst shooting pheasants this season with my new shotgun that i am seeing far too much of the rib and that the butt needs lifting awkwardly to see the correct amount.

I reckon one of these adjustable recoil pads would do the trick as the movement i require is fairly minimal and only up and down.

Can anyone recommend me a relatively cheap one to try out? If this helps as i think it will i can always look for a more expensive one at a later date.

Shotgun is a 12g bettinsoli diamond x.

Cheers

David

Hi David, I havnt ever seen an adjustable pad on a shotgun before, but have recently fitted one to my air rifle and it works just fine.

I got it from ebay ( of course ) for around 15.00.

I suppose to try out, it would be ok, but for a permament job perhaps see a proper gunsmith who could alter the stock on your gun to make it fit you correctly.

Good luck, regards Alan

An adjustable pad wont sort the problem with your shotgun its caused by the differance in height between the rib and the top of the stock, lifting the back of the stock will just lift both up.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post
    I have noticed whilst shooting pheasants this season with my new shotgun that i am seeing far too much of the rib and that the butt needs lifting awkwardly to see the correct amount.

I reckon one of these adjustable recoil pads would do the trick as the movement i require is fairly minimal and only up and down.

Can anyone recommend me a relatively cheap one to try out? If this helps as i think it will i can always look for a more expensive one at a later date.

Cheers

David
    This sounds like you need the comb reduced, unless you are mounting it incorrectly, too many clothes on etc..etc. My advice is to go to a good gunsmith, have the gun measured to suit you, your gun is a very good one!, spend a little and have it professionally fitted, it will pay dividends at those high pheasants!!!. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post

Cheers

David
    It sounds like the stock is too short, try one of the slip on recoil pads and see if that improves your gun mount.

Martin

TBH if it was me i would go and get a shottie that fits you better and trade your Bettinsoli in against it. It will fit better. But the point of getting to see someone who knows how to fit for you is well worth the money,
    first he will check that you mount consistently.
    Second he will check your stance
    third then he will measure.

I had a lot of problems and there are loads of people who claim to be able to fit but in reality havent got a clue. Personal experience there.
    Choose wisely.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .