Help with falconry introduction, in Derbyshire

Oli223

Hi
This is a long shot however I've always fancied falconry but have no idea where to start. Is there anyone nearish to North Derbyshire who could give me a quick introduction. Land is no issue you can use any of my permissions.

Regards Oli

Give garlands a call and ask to speak to Ian Garland he breeds hawks and might be able to offer some advice.

jason

try actionhawks based in derby ar lass booked it last christmass cos ide always fancyed it had a great morning me an onother lad went went out with a pair off harris ferritin he knows his **** shame he couldnt take the gos out

Thanks for replies, I'm not really after a " experience day out" I could just do with an idea of where to start with the hobby. Even simple things like can you keep birds in a brick shed or will it need heating.Whether the birds make lots of noise. I'm a keen bird watcher and have never known birds of prey to be particularly vocal, however if they are noisy it's a non starter as the neighbours will moan. I will try some of your suggestions to get some answers.

Regards Oli

Swinscoe
Ashbourne
Derbyshire

Speak to Mike, at Calton Moor Range, Swinscoe, you can PM him on this site he's a trade member. I'd be astonished if he didn't know of someone nearby. You should be able to google Calton Moor Range for his phone number.

He certainly helped my daughter a few years ago when she was flying her Harris...until the kids came along and time availability took it's toll. ATB

Last edited:
Try David stretton as well as doing DMQ 1&2. His son does a lot with hawks I think he may be able to help

hi Oli, i have been flying birds of prey for about 9 years now, what i recommend you to do is get a few books, falconry basics by tony hall, falconry and hawking by philip glasier both are craicing books and you will learn from them, also if you can get someone close to you that fly birds thats a bonus, i've flown harris hawks, redtail hawks and goshawks.. what quarry are you looking to hunt?

Hi
This is a long shot however I've always fancied falconry but have no idea where to start. Is there anyone nearish to North Derbyshire who could give me a quick introduction. Land is no issue you can use any of my permissions.

Regards Oli

Hi Oli

I have had birds of prey for 27 years, I still breed Peregrines and Goshawks and Gyr/Pergrines. I was in the Yorkshire British Falconers club and I have a lot of friends in Derbyshire - North Yorkshire that still fly Hawks and falcon. you could look to join The British falconers club, then go to a local meeting and there will be someone that can help you.

If you need or would like any other info just send me a pm
all the best

Paul

Swinscoe
Ashbourne
Derbyshire

Speak to Mike, at Calton Moor Range, Swinscoe, you can PM him on this site he's a trade member. I'd be astonished if he didn't know of someone nearby. You should be able to google Calton Moor Range for his phone number.

He certainly helped my daughter a few years ago when she was flying her Harris...until the kids came along and time availability took it's toll. ATB

Mike seems to send them all my way! - Oli, feel free to give me a ring (Number on my website) - I'll talk you through what you need to know.

I saw Terry Large mentioned earlier in the thread, he is like a dad to my Mrs and there is not a more knowledgeable falconer than Terry.

Mike

Back