Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Sierra Match King alternative?

A Sierra Match King alternative?

I know you folks don't shoot hollow points too much but I wanted to relate that I got a shipment of 1000 PPU 30 caliber, 168 grain HPBT Match bullets yesterday and weighed a handful. I was pleased to see that they fell into the same weight parameters as the Sierra Match Kings of the same weight: =/- a few tenths of a grain. It was interesting that in my Savage, both bullets contact the rifling at the same spot, resulting in the same OAL. It appears that PPU has just copied the Match Kings, but of course, the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. If they shoot well it will be good news at 1/3 less cost than the Sierras. Just an FYI.~Muir

I tried the .30 PPUs in 168 match, 174 & 175 fmj. The 174 and 175 were rubbish, huge differences in both weight and length. The 168 match were not bad, groups were about 1.5 to 2moa with the odd flyer. Nosler CC, Lapua Scenar or A-Max will all do .5moa with the same rifle.

Price wise over here in rip-off land Henry Kranks (main PPU distributor) are 242/1000, luckily last two trips I've picked up 3000 Noslers in the US for 137/1000 ($220/1000) from Sinclairs.

What is the verdict on 168gr Speer BTHP and 168gr Hornady BTHP in comparison with Nosler 168 CC or 168 A-Max?#
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    I tried the .30 PPUs in 168 match, 174 & 175 fmj. The 174 and 175 were rubbish, huge differences in both weight and length. The 168 match were not bad, groups were about 1.5 to 2moa with the odd flyer. Nosler CC, Lapua Scenar or A-Max will all do .5moa with the same rifle.

Price wise over here in rip-off land Henry Kranks (main PPU distributor) are 242/1000, luckily last two trips I've picked up 3000 Noslers in the US for 137/1000 ($220/1000) from Sinclairs.
    Wow. That's scary. My rifle shoots the A-Max well, and the Sierra MK's very well. I'll be curious to see how these PPU perform. Mine were sbout $200/1000 and I bout them because Sierra's went up 15% in the last month.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Wow. That's scary. My rifle shoots the A-Max well, and the Sierra MK's very well. I'll be curious to see how these PPU perform. Mine were sbout $200/1000 and I bout them because Sierra's went up 15% in the last month.~Muir
    so if they dont shoot your $200 down,personally I would have swallowed the small rise in price of what does work in your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    so if they dont shoot your $200 down,personally I would have swallowed the small rise in price of what does work in your rifle.
    Thanks Mom.
    Seriously, they all work. And shooting empty paint buckets at 300 yards isn't a seriously precision game. I'll see when I get them to the range. ~Muir

Hi Muir,in some cases you do get what you pay for,smks,scenars and Bergers aren't the comp winners for nothing me thinks

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Thanks Mom.
    Seriously, they all work. And shooting empty paint buckets at 300 yards isn't a seriously precision game. I'll see when I get them to the range. ~Muir
    Mmm seems a waste of time and money to me,but hey were all different,why not use your accuarte bullets and shoot egg cups at 300 yards instead,not only would it be more challenging it would be worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    Mmm seems a waste of time and money to me,but hey were all different,why not use your accuarte bullets and shoot egg cups at 300 yards instead,not only would it be more challenging it would be worth while.
    That sounds like fun but a bit much for off hand shooting. We have a hard enough time with the gallon paint buckets! Maybe from a bench tho.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Hi Muir,in some cases you do get what you pay for,smks,scenars and Bergers aren't the comp winners for nothing me thinks
    True. But they are cheap shooting in any event, and the MK's are breaking the bank -and totally unnecessary for the kind of shooting i'm doing.~Muir