12v cable to baiting area light?

I am considering using a 12volt leisure battery to power a small lamp (reversing) to light up a baiting area about 100 yards away from my hide. what is the cheapest spec cable that I can use for this and will there be a noticable drop in power over the distance.
The light will only be on for 2 or 3 hours at a time and the battery will be recharged as and when required
Any advice on the practicalities and any improvement to the basic idea will be welcome.
cheers in advance
Hawkeye185.

A reversing light is generally 21w, so almost any cable will do, see what they have in halfords etc and buy the cheapest that will be robust enough to withstand rolling out and recovery, this will almost certainly cause the demise of any cable rather than the current passing through it!
A small LED torch will give the same results for a fraction of the trouble and cost!

A 12V bulb will work at any voltage-just get dimmer as voltage drops unlike LEDs which need a minimum voltage to work. Any 2 core cable will be fine-try B&Q for a cheap 2 core 0.5mm mains cable. I'd guess a 100m reel would come in around the £10 mark but I'll probably stand corrected as we buy at trade prices in work.

Hope this helps!

FNF

I have to agree with the PIR idea, something like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/twin-head-solar-light-with-pir-351569 as it's under £20, you can leave it out all the time so whatever you're shooting gets used to the light going on and off when they're generally moving around or if you're pre baiting for a while before and you can sit in your hide and just wait for the light to go on indicating something is there. It's not something I've tried yet but will look into for fox control around some feeders I've got out.

Trying not to rain on yr parade guys but lighting a bait area! The only light by bait area gets is when I switch my lamp on it then 9 times out Of 10 there comes a bang .i use led lights around my phezy pens to deter foxs can't see my country foxs coming to a lit area for the BBQ the urban cousin well that's different ! I can see my bait from where I type this thread but we have no street light or light pollution as such so I think my Charlie's would be spooked by such a contraption .
Cheers Norma

get a cheap rear cycle light (red)
LED and battery combo means it will run for 100s of hours

you can see foxes very quickly and if you need further light use a lamp when you have spotted them

TBH of the money you would spend on batteries and cable to power your reversing light you could get a cheap digi NV monocular 2nd hand

Hi bewsher500
thanks for the idea but could you elaborate on the led and battery combo? Do you mean connecting the rear cycle light to the 12v battery in stead of the reversing light?

Is it a baiting area you are using already? If not I'd set it up and wait until they are used to it and the bait is going every night before introducing any form of lighting. Do you need it 100yds from your hide? If the wind is in the right direction can you reduce it to 50yds so less cable?
I used to leave a ewe carcass out behind the barn and leave the lights on. It worked a treat. I had to cover it up with an old bath to keep the dogs off it during the day. One evening I finnished feeding in the barn and went to take the bath off and charlie had beaten me to it. He was already there waiting for his supper!

Back