is it too early to call bucks?

Chris S

As above really.Going stalking roe bucks in scotland and have a buttolo call.Am i a bit early or will it work?thanks

You are too early for the mating call. You can however use the fawn call, this can call in a doe and with some luck a buck will come with her.

In a nutshell yes, its to early to try and call a buck best not to call bucks before you see evidence of the rut as all you will do is educate them which may make it harder to get them to respond to a call in the rut.

I tried this last week with a blade of grass ,she lifted her head had a good look around ,was a good tester , the guy i had out is new to stalking had never seen anything like this before .

He had just shot the buck minutes before she never left the seen i thought i would see what her reaction would be to a call .

Before i'm slated again this is how it was done in the old days before the invention of all the gadgets some of us used a blade of grass between our thumbs and blow ,yes it works . Try it out with nice wide blade of grass placed between the thumbs.

Pictures if required.

Bucks are not following does yet but are getting territorial. Show yourself and he will likely come stomping over if he does not recognise you as human. I crept ou into a long grass field on Friday where a buck was grazing, stood up a bit and he came straight at me very aggressive.

Calling might bring a doe if she is not with her fawn, but sometimes she will just run back to the area she left it.

Chris it is to early and calling does is not really what it is about .Like said leave the calling until you get real signs the rut is on and you will be able to get a real feel for the calling. With regards the blade of grass lets leave that on the field it is old and out of date like the Bow and Arrow.

I would agree with L.D.G that its a bit early to early to call yet but then again practice makes perfect.

I totally dissagree with his comment about the blade of grass.

Its good to know that some people can still call in the old ways and not just with all the gadgets on the market.

Dont get me wrong, I am all for new tech and am a gadget man myself but am a great believer in the old ways that work.
The bow and arrow was and is a great weapon in the right hands but I was not sorry to see it banned for hunting in the 60's (I think)

Use what works for you when calling, and if you are lucky enough to find somone to teach you to call with a blade of grass how good will that be when you have left all your gadgets at home :rolleyes: ;)

ATB

Max

Try it LDG you'll be surprise just how it works and how well it works ,It costs nothing .

Its like taking a townie out into the countryside and tickling fish in a stream they look at you as if your mad until they see it with there own eyes .

A wise man once said don't knock it till you've tried it .

L.D.G said:
Chris it is to early and calling does is not really what it is about. With regards the blade of grass lets leave that on the field it is old and out of date like the Bow and Arrow.

mmmmmm.....So LDG, what is it really all about? Does that also mean that you will not bark at a buck in order for it to protect its territory and come towards you. If you have the tools in the box, you use them and if you dont, you slate it as possible advice.

I've left my call in the house but heaven forbid using a blade of grass for the same effect.............smell the coffee :rolleyes:

If we all done everything the same way and were not flexible, it would be a rather boring world.

I don't see what's wrong with using a blade of grass as a call? I've done this when shooting Foxes with good success a few times, although I've never tried calling a Deer that way. I didn't know you could to be honest!

With all the electronic and plastic gadgets around these days I'm glad some of us are still using the old school methods. It would be a great shame if they were to be lost in the past.

If it worked on a Deer 50 years ago then it will probably still work now. It's going to be a very rare day you can't find a blade of grass when you're out stalking. It's not that rare to forget your call though, I've done it several times (along with rifle bolts, magazines, cartridges etc!).

is it took early to call bucks

Out with Sikamalc on Thursday evening, just looking to see what was about, saw eleven does and one buck , he was chasing so close behind her if she had stopped suddenly his nose would have disappeared up her.
They were racing about the field like a couple of teenagers on heat, they charged off back into the wood at a hell of a speed.
With that Malc said "quick through the gate across the field to the corner and see if we can get to the oak tree", which is half way down the field.
Wadas its the field you put the high seat in, : :eek: :and what a seat that is, anyway sure enough out they came, three of them this time two does and the buck, all are about 150 yards away, Malc says "quick sticks up and take him when your ready."
Rifle up cross hairs 1 inch above his heart, squeeze the trigger, :confused: nothing, what the f**k? I had forgotten to put the safety catch on :evil: now I'm not new to this game, I have been stalking for over forty years
but it just shows how careful we have to be at all times and anyone at any age can make a pratt of themselves, not least of all me.
Anyway back to the buck, rifle up, couple of quick breaths, find the mark, wallop, down like a sack of doo doo, job done.
So to answer your question Chris down here in Sussex some of the bucks are showing an interest, minus one.

Back