Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .223 t8 mod to fit .270

.223 t8 mod to fit .270

i have a t8 fitted to my .223 which is stamped on the bottom br T8 AR F .25 0211

now the bullet head of a .270 will fit through the exit hole of this mod but not sure about the internal governings , has anyone tried fireing there .25 marked moderator through a .270 , im just trying to see if i could get away with using the same mod for both rifles ?
    so can i fire my .270 through my sound mod that i use for my .223 which is marked as above without bugering my mod or rifle ?

my gunsmith wasnt sure about this either?

I think you have answered your own question. .27 won't fit in .25
    two options from the dealer are :
    7.5 mm hole - takes 222, 223, 22-250, 6mm, 243, etc.

8.5 mm hole - takes 6.5mm 270, 7mm, 308 , 30-06 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by .25-06 View Post
    I think you have answered your own question. .27 won't fit in .25
    two options from the dealer are :
    7.5 mm hole - takes 222, 223, 22-250, 6mm, 243, etc.

8.5 mm hole - takes 6.5mm 270, 7mm, 308 , 30-06 etc.
    bullet head fits though?
    hmm yeah mine is 7.5 mm ohh well looks like ill need to look out for a bigger moderator
    cheers 25.06

Depends how big the actual hole is and how true are the threads on rifle and mod.
    My 6mmPPC had an ASE mod clearly marked for .223 and was fine, now have a 243 and using a
    pess mod for a .22, but the through hole measures 7mm.

Neil.

With precision machined mods it is possible to run a lot closer to exit hole diameter. But not with a T8. It is mild steel construction with lots of welding, welded components warp during assembly, and therefore there needs to be extra clearance allowed. Thats without taking the possibility of a piss poor threading job into consideration.

I am not advocating you ignore your gunsmith or anyone else on here but the cotton wool clad nanny state we live in makes the actual bore and stamp bear little resemblance to each other

you need minimum .5mm clearance on DIAMETER IMO, this gives you .25 clearance ASSUMING a concentric bore and perfectly aligned parallel thread to the screwcut

I bought a PES T12 scout initially for rimfire and .22cf (it is not stamped with a calibre designation)
    it has a 6.5mm bore (I measured it)

I also use it very successfully on my .243 (6mm bullet vs 6.5mm bore)
    It is significantly quieter than some other high end mods

I use the same 6.5mm bore mod on 6 calibres from .17 up to .243

if it 7.5mm I would say that is perfect IMO
    as .277 is 7.01mm () that would be fine for me
    if you want to test the bore size simply use a drill bit (the drill end not the twist end, metal HSS not masonary as the diamter changes at the tip!)

as for T8 vs anything else, mine is welded as well.
    as far as i know all welded mods are done so on a bore centred jig. the baffles are spot welded from the ones I have seen and they would need to be as close to tolerance as any other otherwise you would hear of a lot more baffle strike situations

steve kershaw advised me on using mine on the .243
    can you see any shadow around the muzzle when looking down the chamber end of the bore?
    test with mod on and off to see the difference.
    use direct light and indirect (point at bulb and to the side alternatively)

if not then there is only one way to find out how it performs!
    despite my confidence that I could see no shadow or baffle in the bore picture that first shot was a bit of a arse twitcher!

havent looked back! saved me 200 that I could put towards another 3 rifles!
    Last edited by bewsher500; 01-01-2013 at 14:20.

Greeting all and a happy new year.

This is my first post and I hate to start with a correction but .277 is 7.0358mm, not 6.8mm.

Secondly some bullets experience yaw as they depart the barrel and a tight fit through the baffles can result in a strike.

ATB

Quote Originally Posted by achosenman View Post
    Greeting all and a happy new year.

This is my first post and I hate to start with a correction but .277 is 7.0358mm, not 6.8mm.

Secondly some bullets experience yaw as they depart the barrel and a tight fit through the baffles can result in a strike.

ATB
    Best make your 2nd post in the introductions section then chap before you get the mods jumping all over you !!
    Atb Steve

I have 2 T8's. One marked 30cal the other ,25. Both have identical bores and I have used both on my .308 without any problems. The .25 marked mod wont fit my .243 varmint barrel (its not due to the collet) but the 30cal one will.
    The .25 cal one has either been drilled out to 8.5mm or they are manufactured the same and simply stamped differently
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    I have 2 T8's. One marked 30cal the other ,25. Both have identical bores and I have used both on my .308 without any problems. The .25 marked mod wont fit my .243 varmint barrel (its not due to the collet) but the 30cal one will.
    The .25 cal one has either been drilled out to 8.5mm or they are manufactured the same and simply stamped differently

Interesting.. i have a 30cal which I use on the 25-06, its OK but again I wouldnt mind trying to get it a bit more quieter even though i can hear the strike at 100yds, and was looking at getting dedicate 25cal mod in the future.

nutty