Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this secondhand reloading equipment worth please

What is this secondhand reloading equipment worth please

I have been offered the following second hand equipment by a family friend, but i need some idea how much it is worth so as not to offend anyone.

Lyman 450 lube sizer with ratchet, a Lyman six hole turret press, two Lee three hole turret presses, auto-disc powder measures, bullet moulds etc

I dont reload at the moment but this would start me off,
    What else would i need
    All the best for the new Year Thanks in advance.
    TH
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Have a look at Midway uk 's site, & allow a little depreciation for any wear & tear?

p.s., any .458 400/ ish moulds in with that lot?????
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

SD Regular
    How much is it worth...are you buying or selling!

I'd have a look back through our own Forum classifieds for an idea. The disappointing thing is that all reloading equipment isn't allowed on UK eBay.

The lubrisizer is now a very limited market as, since the pistol ban, there are fewere and fewer re-loaders of the sort of ammunition that would shoot cast bullets. I'd say that really 60 to 80 is a GENEROUS offer. If it has no lubrisizer dies a very generous offer. However Joe Beatham at Gunshop East Barnet has a lot of such dies. They also, if old, leak at the base!

Secondhand Lee aluminium moulds are 5 each but used double cavity RCBS or Lyman are into double figures. Be aware that any ROUND NOSE pistol calibre moulds are effectively now useless. Not safe in carbines and most Home Office designated 7(3) designated ranges already have enough of that profile to last for ever.

Ditto the Lee three position presses. Not really suitable for anything other than pistol calibre rounds I say around 35 to 40 each maybe if not all complete a fiver less than that. The same as the Auto Disc powder measures. Effectively they are useless nowadays. In any case they will have been used, for pistol calibre, on the Lee three position presses.

The pick of the haul is probably the Lyman six hole if it takes standard large 7/8 x 14 die sets. If it is a Lyman Tru Line then it will only take 310 Tool size dies. The rest is just if not exactly junk is of very limited use to anyone who does not reload pistol calibre firearms.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 31-12-2012 at 21:41.

The Lyman 450 if in good shape is in the $75-100 range in the USA . The Lyman turret press probably also in the $75 range if in good shape . The Lee presses are worth maybe $100 combined with the powder measure .The molds depend on manufacturer and number of cavities per mold . Generally used two cavity Lyman , RCBS or Saeco molds in good shape are $50 no problem . Lee 2 cavity are $5 at best unless ot's something special .

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    They also, if old, leak at the base!

Secondhand Lee aluminium moulds are 5 each but used double cavity RCBS or Lyman are into double figures. Be aware that any ROUND NOSE pistol calibre moulds are effectively now useless. Not safe in carbines and most Home Office designated 7(3) designated ranges already have enough of that profile to last for ever.
    I have news for you. They leak when new as well, especially if mounted on a less than perfectly flat plate or -more so- used by someone who cranks too much pressure on the lube handle while using and also doesn't release the pressure after use.

As to round nose bullets not suitable to carbines (tube feed, I'm assuming)...

Say WHAT?? Since when? I use the Lyman 311-291 Round Nose in 30-30 all the time. I'm old now, but I'm pretty sure I recall that it was made for tubular magazines. I also use some of the heavier pistol RN bullets like the Lyman 358-430 (how do I remember these numbers? I can't recall my cell phone number without looking) at 195 grains in my M-92, .357 magnum.

Have I been flaunting with disaster all of my adult life?? ~Muir

(I wonder if my psychotherapist is up at this hour. I may need to up my anxiety meds...)
    Last edited by Muir; 01-01-2013 at 12:52.

hmm worked ok in my old 45/70 in the 80's and my mates 44 marlin we all used them in the 70/80's from a lead bullet maker in uk. we used them for all our practical rifles and hand guns, later on the TC'S came out and we moved to them to get more in the tube but sometimes gave feed problems wadcutters were nfg unless you used em in a wheelgun, i to have an old RCBS luber with 351/355/357 dies and new tubes of lube if any one wishes to make there own heads and lube em Free plus p&p package,
    all the best
    paul o'

SD Regular
    Yes! Dicing with death in fact! The perceived wisdom is that they can cause the primer in front to fire under the effects of recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Yes! Dicing with death in fact! The perceived wisdom is that they can cause the primer in front to fire under the effects of recoil.
    Not PERCEPTION! The Humanity of it All! Perception is one of the deadliest elements of shooting! I have been SO lucky! I'm going to go to church this morning then come home and curl up in a fetal position until the meds kick in.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    hmm worked ok in my old 45/70 in the 80's and my mates 44 marlin we all used them in the 70/80's from a lead bullet maker in uk. we used them for all our practical rifles and hand guns, later on the TC'S came out and we moved to them to get more in the tube but sometimes gave feed problems wadcutters were nfg unless you used em in a wheelgun, i to have an old RCBS luber with 351/355/357 dies and new tubes of lube if any one wishes to make there own heads and lube em Free plus p&p package,
    all the best
    paul o'
    I'll bet SimJim33 or JAYB would take you up on that most generous offer. They cast.~Muir

sorry feller should have jumped quicker enfieldspares has put a mitt on it but if he passes any one can have it, did't know there were so many red rooster lubers out there still, stinking stuff stcks to everything lilke **** TO A BLANKET OLD SCHOOL loading was such fun