sling mounting

boltaction

Hi I want to mount a biathlon sling to the side of my Bell and Carlson medalist stock. I'm wondering the best way to do it, I don't want to just screw in some studs. Has anyone done this or can help.

I have done this to my HS Precision stock. I used normal wood studs but drilled the hole slightly deeper and wider and Araldited the studs in. Admittedly, it was not the neatest of jobs, but I am not a gunsmith! They work very well and make the rifle much better to carry on the hill. Alternatively, for the forend, if you have a Harris bipod fitted, twist the sling stud on the back of the bipod through 90 degrees. Hope that this helps.

Not sure how much material you have to play with, but what about the flush fit Q/D swivels from Uncle Mikes ?

Neil. :)

Well as it's nowt but a placcy stock how about a couple of coach bolts.. Won;t harm the appearance none and they will remain secure :stir:.

Perhaps you might like to ask EDI as he would likely know the best way to secure them as after all he does make this type of stock.

Well as it's nowt but a placcy stock how about a couple of coach bolts.. Won;t harm the appearance none and they will remain secure :stir:.

Perhaps you might like to ask EDI as he would likely know the best way to secure them as after all he does make this type of stock.

Haha Brithunter The thing is, a placcy stock is much better than NO stock at all, so to speak.:rofl::stir:

Haha Brithunter The thing is, a placcy stock is much better than NO stock at all, so to speak.:rofl::stir:

I was going to have a pop at Brit about that post, but couldn't think of anything witty enough, thanks for doing it for me :lol:

Neil. :)

Why would you want a rifle with NO stock?

All my guns have stocks, heck I even have some so dangerous spare stocks, just be aware that according to Lincs plods even stocks need a licence to own.

Why would you want a rifle with NO stock?

All my guns have stocks, heck I even have some so dangerous spare stocks, just be aware that according to Lincs plods even stocks need a licence to own.

Well that explains it Brithunter, The polds as you call them, probably would want you to have a licence for your stocks. Especially if they all have coach bolts hanging out of them, I expect they considered they could be used as an offensive weapon. :tiphat:

Well that explains it Brithunter, The polds as you call them, probably would want you to have a licence for your stocks. Especially if they all have coach bolts hanging out of them, I expect they considered they could be used as an offensive weapon. :tiphat:

I fully realise that the Plods, notice the correct spelling, have many supporters here and also ex plods and also serving plods so I expect the snide comments and aslo the disbelief that they can act in such a criminal way. However the truth does not bear out their indoctrination.

History shows what happens when people blindly follow such powers. Check out the 1936 Gun control act of Germany then think what that led too.

well, for starters, it looks better than a plastic one, even if it means you can't shoot the bugger:stir:

If you want something that looks good, buy yourself a painting for the wall.
Composite stocks lead to better shot to shot consistency and at the end of the day to less suffering for deer.
If you love wood so much why don't you fly in holidays in a wooden plane, days are gone, things have improved. Get real.

I also like wood on my shotgun and wouldn't want a plastic stock, but only because a plastic stock wouldn't improve
performance much on a shotgun. Rifle...different story.
edi

Composite stocks lead to better shot to shot consistency and at the end of the day to less suffering for deer.
If you love wood so much why don't you fly in holidays in a wooden plane, days are gone, things have improved. Get real.

I also like wood on my shotgun and wouldn't want a plastic stock, but only because a plastic stock wouldn't improve
edi

Just a couple of points:-

1) As it's yet to be proven that a rifle suitable for deer stalking in the real world does not "Need" to produce 1/2" groups in the field. It has also yet to be proven that most stalkers are capable of producing these small groups even from a bench rest :p except in their dreams or flights of fancy! A stalking rifle with a good wooded stock is perfectly suitable for this use and has been since stalking with firearms began. Many with wooden stocks are also capable of producing fine grouping.

2) The use of wood for a rifle stock and for a aeroplanes construction cannot be compared in reality that is if one is truthful with ones self. The stresses involved are totally different as is the use. Also there are those who might well if offered the chance to fly in wooden framed aircraft do just that just as those who choose to fly in airships do.

3) Not everyone jumps onto a plane and flies off all over the place despite what the media and it seems you would have us believe. As those that do contribute so much to the pollution of this world perhaps they should be paying far more in taxes to offset this pollution they help produce?

4) Your beloved plastics and composites are also responsible for much of the pollution so once again perhaps they should be taxed at a far higher rate than is current. Wood on the other hand helps negate much of the pollution as it grows. Therefore not only is it better for the planet. Your beloved plastics can never feel as good and must be destroyed by expensive and energy consuming means once it's finished with. Wood can be left to degrade and rot naturally and as it does so provides food and homes to numerous creatures.

5) You for one may actually like these drastic plastic contraptions but for myself they are the pits. Having owned a couple of rifles so stocked in the past and used more so fitted I would never own another and if I never handled another that would also suit me. The industry introduced them for cost savings and no matter how you try and twist it this remains their drive in using them. It's a testament to their marketing ability that they managed to fool so many into not only accepting them but desiring them. The quote oft said to be by P.T. Barnham comes to mind.

I have in my small collection of sporting works one of rifle shooting in Great Britain. Nowadays the author would be looked upon with suspicion by the Police as he advocated handling and fondling ones rifle in the evening accompanied by a glass of wine so one became familiar with the rifles feel and weight and so that it became like and extension of ones own body. I am not sure that quote is 100% correct but cannot be bothered right now to sort out the book.

Of course Townsend Whelen also advocated this gun handling and also dry firing and breathing exercises whilst on the aim at least three times a week and more often was even better. But of course neither relied upon artificial supports when shooting all the time unlike an awful lot of "modern" stalkers. They at most used what nature supplied in the terrain if the need for a more stable hold for that longer shot was required. Mostly that shoot their game successfully free hand which sadly a lot of British stalkers would be incapable of nowadays it seems.

Brit,
you are 50 years behind.
Time has moved on.
Every day I get phone calls because of rifles that do not behave properly. Mostly the owners only notice after wounding a deer that the
zero of their rifle is completely off. Mainly with wooden stocks.

I'll make a suggestion, why don't you supply the british army snipers with pressure bedded wooden stocked rifles?
Just write them a letter to suggest as you are convinced that that is the best material.
Lets see what the answer to that is?
Why do you think that the UK and US snipers have the upper-hand at recent conflicts?

As a deer hunter I think it is my responsibility to use the best equipment available to ensure a quick and reliable kill.
Wood is not in the equation as it is not reliable especially in our climate.
Those who choose wood as there stock material must be aware of the risks, maybe keep their shots closer and
check zero at shorter intervals.
edi

Brit,
you are 50 years behind.
Time has moved on.
Every day I get phone calls because of rifles that do not behave properly. Mostly the owners only notice after wounding a deer that the
zero of their rifle is completely off. Mainly with wooden stocks.

I'll make a suggestion, why don't you supply the british army snipers with pressure bedded wooden stocked rifles?
Just write them a letter to suggest as you are convinced that that is the best material.
Lets see what the answer to that is?
Why do you think that the UK and US snipers have the upper-hand at recent conflicts?

As a deer hunter I think it is my responsibility to use the best equipment available to ensure a quick and reliable kill.
Wood is not in the equation as it is not reliable especially in our climate.
Those who choose wood as there stock material must be aware of the risks, maybe keep their shots closer and
check zero at shorter intervals.
edi

The military requirements are not that same as a stalker and let's not pretend they are. Also the way the military equipment is sourced must be about the most corrupt way possible to go about it. They get stuff that has been bought from those who grease the palms the best. It does not mean it's the best stuff. Just look at the SA80 fiasco.

The fact remains the decisions are made on cost not what is best and you know it all to well.

edi

only poorly fitted and cheap quality or kiln dried wood stocks cause performance degradation in rifles, otherwise behave at least as well as synthetic stocks AND look good.

Don't see Westley Richards producing stocks that will cause POI changes...maybe cheap stuff with cheap wood - but hey are you saying that all synthetic stocks are born equal, because I bet there are plenty of shjite synthetics out there that bend like Gok Wan when you stick a bipod on!

I can't believe this has degenerated to a squabble about the merits of synthetic or wood stocks :doh:
It was about flush fit sling swivels, a simple subject, dragged off course by Brit who obviously is
pretending that the dig about plastic is better than no stock, was not actually meant as any stock is better than not having a rifle at all.

Neil.

Brit,
You might be right with the corruption, but since the Vietnam disaster they have learned that wooden stocks are not the way to go.
We are over the stage of how to build a rifle and I mean police or sniper bolt action rifles with similar calibres to stalking calibres.
A bolt action police or sniper rifle is almost identical to a stalking rifle apart from the stalking rifle will get away with a lighter barrel due to less shots
being fired and can generally be of a slightly lighter build.
We have had serious enquieries from a dubious country wanting to retrofit large quantities of mauser 98 rifles with composite stocks...wonder why?
Even there they have understood.
My take is that thousands of deer are wounded and many lost every year alone in Ireland. Mostly due to user error on the rifle but a large percentage due to
outdated or faulty gear. Even yesterday watching a friend (who is an excellent shot) zero a blaser with heavy fluted match barrel off a bipod, spewing
shots into a 4" circle, later off a bag positioned further back on the forend she shot under 1/2". That is not a hunting rifle, that it is a disaster.

edi

Back