Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrels

Barrels

hi all newbie here, just to start the ball rolling, I've a rem 700 22-250 and am wanting to get into reloading, I just wanting your views on how many round would need to be fired before starting to wear the barrel out or lose accuracy , and would reloading speed up or slow down the affects?

leon

Quote Originally Posted by charlie-hunter View Post
    hi all newbie here, just to start the ball rolling, I've a rem 700 22-250 and am wanting to get into reloading, I just wanting your views on how many round would need to be fired before starting to wear the barrel out or lose accuracy , and would reloading speed up or slow down the affects?

leon
    Pressure eats barrels, not speed. Aim towards the lowest chamber pressures that give you a useable velocity. If you don't have a loading manual that lists pressures, get one. Very informative.~Muir

what he said
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

what sort of life would you get from shop bought ammo? What loading manuals ?

so would a slow burning powder pushing 4100fps out of a 28" barrel last longer than a faster powder pushing the same bullet at 3700fps out of a 24" barrel?

if you are worried about barrel wear you can get this moly type coating which is applied with a brush to the barrel only costs a few pounds for the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by riflehunter583 View Post
    if you are worried about barrel wear you can get this moly type coating which is applied with a brush to the barrel only costs a few pounds for the stuff.

have only heard bad things about moly coated anything

It will also depend upon hot hot you get the barrel when shooting. heat kills the throat and wears the bore.

As for Moly Coating ....................................... well it's your barrel you can do with it as you wish but persnally I would not have anything to do with it. The fouling it leaves behind builds up and is the very devil to remove. I believe it was Walt Berger who stopped using it as one day when he was removing the Moly build up he discovered pitting underneath it on one of his bench rest competition guns .................................................. ........ he was not a happy chappy after discovering this. I seem to recall reading this in one of the American Gun magazines and that was some years back now.

The best way to avoid barrel wear is not shoot it unless you use compressed air that is. Norma did a test and concluded it was the heat and pressure that eroded the bore. This was after pushing many thousands of bullets down a bore using compressed air and finding no measurable wear after doing so.

The 22-250 was developed to compete, velocity wise with the 220Swift, but be more barrel friendly. Most hot loads corrode the throat, before the barrel is worn. This can be remedied by shortning the barrel 1" and reboring. I would think if you use common sense you could get 5-6000rnds, before your accuracy showed much change. choose a mild load and it might go to1000rds. If your shooting 1/2-3/4" groups now it might open up another 1/2". capt david

I might ad that more barrels are 'worn out' by improper cleaning techniques than, by shooting. capt david