FAC holders , victims of crime .are we treated differently ??

Scots_stalker

Reading hootsmans thread got me wondering. , why do we , as FAC holders have to think through every possible permutation of an event BEFORE going to the police to report a crime against us ??

we definately have more to lose and have to be whiter than white at all times otherwise at the click of a mouse you lose your way of life

Reading hootsmans thread got me wondering. , why do we , as FAC holders have to think through every possible permutation of an event BEFORE going to the police to report a crime against us ??

Blimey - where to begin?
Complete lack of faith in police 'impartiality'
Target driven policing
Copious evidence of police investigative failings - phone hacking, Hillsborough blah, blah, blah...
Obvious police penchant to arrest everybody and everything and "sort it out at the station" - recent shooting of two burglars in Leicestershire
Continued failure to apply firearms legislation effectively....

Tbh it isn't just the shooting fraternity; as reported in today's press, even our illustrious MPs think that the state of policing in the UK is rubbish. :(

Yes because if we have the misfortune to be the victim of a crime, the Police seem to think we will use our guns in revenge... so the first thing they do is confiscate guns and revoke certificate.

Its hard to believe we the shooting ferternity are demonised so often and yet many from a very young age who get involved in shooting are possibly the most law abiding minority in britian. When will the police recognise this:eek:

You have to be squeeky clean and ultra law abiding to get and "KEEP" a FAC, yet once you have bought your firearm you become in the eyes of the authorities a potential homocidal gunman.
All the the criteria you had to meet to to get your FAC is forgotten once you have a "gun" and if a crime is committed against you are automatically branded some kind of avenging angel who will use his firearms to seek recompense at any cost

TB.

After a malicious complaint against me, the police seized my firearms for seven months, before I could prove to their satisfaction that the allegations were malicious. I could have done it on the day, but they did not want to listen, instead just seized them without speaking to me other than to tell me they had a search warrant and were seizing my firearms.
This is subject to an ongoing criminal action against the police so can not say any more at the minute.
Do I trust the (local) police? No! Have I committed any crime? No! Have I been treated like a criminal? YES!

I expect the same treatment as any other member of the public, if i feel victimised due to being a fac holder then i will get my solicitor on the case and he is not nice. I appreciate it may take time to get resolved but then you sue for everything you can as that is the only lesson they will learn from.

Just a thought, if an armed police officer, say a PPO or CO19 etc. are they also barred from carrying if an accusation is made? I also seemed to recall when Iwas in the RAF , a guy could kick the crap out of someone in the NAAFI and two weeks later he could be on guard duty with a clip of FMJs......cant say I recall anyone using a gun in a threatening manner though.

It is sad and we always suffer because of the small minority. Insurance (Young Drivers) Football (Small Group of Aberdeen fans) Gun (One or two nutcases)

Lurcher men (One or two law breakers) Terrier men (Still a very few badger diggers left)
I could go on but do not blame the police they messed up in dunblane and we would not like that a gain better safe than sorry.
PS I have been with out my rifles for 6 months its not nice but its the way.

Speaking through my own experience of having my licence revoked and firearms put in storage on more than a couple of ocasions.

All i can say is Dorset and their team are a great bunch.

At no time was i made to feel like a criminal, was always treated fairly and curteously.

And furthermore their decisions were the right ones.

Why do people on here seem to think that as fac holders we loose the most basic of rights to defend ourselves..

Some people talk a load of old crap imo

Peace and a lora love for 2013

After a malicious complaint against me, the police seized my firearms for seven months, before I could prove to their satisfaction that the allegations were malicious. I could have done it on the day, but they did not want to listen, instead just seized them without speaking to me other than to tell me they had a search warrant and were seizing my firearms.
This is subject to an ongoing criminal action against the police so can not say any more at the minute.
Do I trust the (local) police? No! Have I committed any crime? No! Have I been treated like a criminal? YES!

yes they tend to do this seize the guns then dont tell you nothing for weeks , isnt right surely inocent till proven guilty ?

Last edited:
Gloucestershire held an investigation into me after a malicious complaint from another shooter back at the end of Feb 2012. It took 7 months, but eventually I got the all-clear. There was a threat of my guns gong, but the FEO and FLM were both sensible and seemed to understand the situation, so I kept them. The fact that I had just sent my ticket in for a variation when this happened, and they then held onto it until things were completed was a much bigger problem, no ammo purchasing, no new permissions etc.

The other guy is still trying to cause trouble, regularly calls landowners to try to persuade them to stop me shooting. He's also doing the same to other shooters, but I think his reputation is going downhill now.

Just a thought, if an armed police officer, say a PPO or CO19 etc. are they also barred from carrying if an accusation is made? I also seemed to recall when Iwas in the RAF , a guy could kick the crap out of someone in the NAAFI and two weeks later he could be on guard duty with a clip of FMJs......cant say I recall anyone using a gun in a threatening manner though.
Ha ha ha first belly laugh of 2013 , no offence intended my friend but the laws do not apply to the police so my guess would be a no it Would get covered up as per usual

It is sad and we always suffer because of the small minority. Insurance (Young Drivers) Football (Small Group of Aberdeen fans) Gun (One or two nutcases)

Lurcher men (One or two law breakers) Terrier men (Still a very few badger diggers left)
I could go on but do not blame the police they messed up in dunblane and we would not like that a gain better safe than sorry.
PS I have been with out my rifles for 6 months its not nice but its the way.
With respect sir I DO blame the police yes they messed up terribly in dunblane however the poice should have been punished not law abiding gun owners but yet again we get to be the scapegoats.....

Forgive me but my synopsis of the hootsman thread would be: OP has problem and suggests he will go to police, lots of talk about guns being at risk/unreasonableness of police response, OP goes to police and gets positive result.

Seems the same every time there is a related thread. Lots of chatter about how unreasonably certificate holders are treated but precious little evidence of it. Perhaps the question the OP asked should have been "Why do we try and consider every permutation rather than just getting on and reporting it". I don't believe there are that many negatives of a genuine victim reporting a crime. Certificate holders come up regularly as victims of crime. The only ones I can think of who have any licensing issues are the ones who haven't complied with the conditions of their certs.

Forgive me but my synopsis of the hootsman thread would be: OP has problem and suggests he will go to police, lots of talk about guns being at risk/unreasonableness of police response, OP goes to police and gets positive result.

Seems the same every time there is a related thread. Lots of chatter about how unreasonably certificate holders are treated but precious little evidence of it. Perhaps the question the OP asked should have been "Why do we try and consider every permutation rather than just getting on and reporting it". I don't believe there are that many negatives of a genuine victim reporting a crime. Certificate holders come up regularly as victims of crime. The only ones I can think of who have any licensing issues are the ones who haven't complied with the conditions of their certs.

Hootsman's case is typical of many. My own comments on it are based on a very considerable depth of experience in such matters, spanning about the last 40 years and many dozens of incidents and, whilst I hope it is "over" for him, my "experience" tells me otherwise. We'll see, won't we? :)

Seems the same every time there is a related thread. Lots of chatter about how unreasonably certificate holders are treated but precious little evidence of it.

I suppose you could assume that all the negative posts on this site - and many others - are simply made up to blacken the police reputation? Taken at face value there is a constant theme of FAC holders being treated as guilty until proven innocent. Just read the previous posts from Pheasant Sniper, Pilgrimmick and baconbuttie - nothing there to suggest they are "the ones that haven't complied with the conditions....". It would appear that there is a general decline of faith in the 'fairness' (never mind effectiveness!) of policing in the UK today and I certainly wouldn't bet my ticket on them doing the right thing.

Back