Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st go at skinning and butchering a munty

1st go at skinning and butchering a munty

I got a munty from a friend and asked for it to just be gralloched, so I could start to learn how to process deer for myself.

You'll have to excuse the food prep area (my garage), it's hardly up to food hygeine standards but for myself it had to do!!

I had to leave it hanging in the skin for a night coz I never had time to sort it, which I think was my 1st mistake, coz it was a bugger to skin! Or are munties generally hard to do??

I've watched a few vids online and did the lot with just a good boning knife. Got the head off ok, but there wasn't much neck left as that's where it was shot!

Got the front legs off neatly but my 2nd mistake was cutting through the wrong knuckle joint of the 1st rear leg, which severed the tendon for ease of hanging. Got the 2nd one right so learned from that.

Any after a bit of a battle it ended up like this

And a bit of time spent yesterday got the carcass to this point, which I'm well pleased with

Have left the leg joints hanging til tmoro to tenderise and I think I'm going to de-bone 1 and leave the rest for roasting or slow cooking.

Me and the Mrs are having loins for tea tmoro with fresh veg off the allotment once the kids are in bed, yum!!

Let me know what you think and if you have any tips for the future please let me know,

Cheers

Yes they generally are a bugger to skin!

Nowt up with that for a first go.
    you'll be boning and rolling the shoulders next and tunnel boning the haunches
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

looks a good job to me fair play to ya get yourself some gambriels and
    s hooks regards pete

very well done on your first go! muntjac are a bugger to skin especially around the haunches, ive found it difficult not to tear meat on some

Thanks chaps I did think about getting a set of hooks and gambrel off someone on here, might have to do it!

I did tear some meat off too but it was only what I call flank meat, which came off the rib areas?!

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Thanks chaps I did think about getting a set of hooks and gambrel off someone on here, might have to do it!

I did tear some meat off too but it was only what I call flank meat, which came off the rib areas?!
    i wouldnt worry over it you did great especially for a first go, if you can get the jacket off them while they are still warm though its a lot easier

Good job mate. Looks just like my first attempt. Absolutely nothing wrong with what you've done and it'll taste just fine. Remember not to over do the cooking with those fillets.
    BTW my mates who saw my first attempt said "that's why they call it butchering". Mean gits.
    Enjoy your meal and hopefully next time you will have shot it yourself too.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    i wouldnt worry over it you did great especially for a first go, if you can get the jacket off them while they are still warm though its a lot easier
    If I'm hunting here at home on our property behind the house I like to bring them in ungutted and pull the hide off first . Chop the head and front legs below the knees and then gut the animal .

I find if you do it while the animal is still warm it peels off about like peeling an orange .

"If" I have plenty time and peel it then gut it . I'll also cut the shoulders , hind quarters backstraps and the fish out right away . I'll go ahead and freeze the backstraps and fish .And I'll take the shoulders and hand quarters to my friend with the meat grinder for him to grind at his convience .

I "have" had an electric grinder here and killed and deer and had it all ground in less then 2 hours from the time I pulled the trigger . Haven't done that but a few times , that'll work the shyte outta you .

Hang it up the other way up and skin it from the neck downwardsThat way it will skin a bit better and you can put some effort into pulling the skin off with out half the carcass sticking to the skin Munties are not the easiest of deer to skin regardless of which method you may use...especially when cold