Thread: Dog whistles

Dog whistles

Hi happy new yr ,
    I have a few very good munty antlers and was going to try making a dog whistle or two from them also fallow spikes Ect but the munty would be more unusual .has anyone tryed doing one I had a go yrs ago but it wouldn't whistle ,any tips ?
    kind regards
    norma

Never eat yellow snow
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Never done it but.... Heres my pennies worth. I would cut to length, bore out the middle, a little longer than whats explained in the next part. Cut the "V" shape out of the top. Now this I would think is the important bit. Use a piece of dowel to match your internal hole made by boring, cut so its a tad longer than the staright face of the top "V" and taper the top back so its flat but the hole is smaller where it meets the sound chamber and the top "V". This piece of dowel I think is important as when you blow the air is being restcited enabeling pitch. I may be wrong but might just be worth a go. look at an acme and youll see what Im trying to explain.

found this

nutty
    Last edited by nuttyspaniel; 01-01-2013 at 13:43.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Hi happy new yr ,
    I have a few very good munty antlers and was going to try making a dog whistle or two from them also fallow spikes Ect but the munty would be more unusual .has anyone tryed doing one I had a go yrs ago but it wouldn't whistle ,any tips ?
    kind regards
    norma
    I've not made one, but I'm pretty sure there was an article in a recent issue of The Stickmaker, the journal of the British Stickmaker's Guild. I'll try to dig it out.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

The only problem I can see is that each antler whistle will produce a different pitch and dogs very readily get used to the same pitch. Have known people to have lost their antler whistles to then struggle to find one the dog responds to as they don't know what pitch it was...

You ain't seen my dogs in action lol

Doesnt matter what whistle I use on the cocker.....ignores the bleedin lot of them

Attachment 22939

talk about butter wouldnt melt...
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I've made a couple of successful whistles in small roe antlers using the above you tube guy. The depth of the v that the air cuts against is critical and may need adjustment. Just carve a dowl with a flat top , again trial and error to get the right amount of air through.
    Have a go it isn't rocket science and doesn't take long, very satisfying once succesful. . The ones I made would make great dog whistles as v high pitched.

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Doesnt matter what whistle I use on the cocker.....ignores the bleedin lot of them
    talk about butter wouldnt melt...
    I like that!

I met a man at a trial with a different whistle for each dog, I said why not just have 1 whistle for all dogs as he didn't work them together. His answer he likes having a whistle that they each ignore. Then I noticed his thunderer (referees whistle) and that explained it all!