Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice please on gun calibre

Advice please on gun calibre

Ive just been lucky enough to get my first permission for deer stalking and pest control. This permission covers approx 3500 acres with 800 of those being woodland.
    Ive recently passed my DSC1, but havent applied for my firearms certificate yet as ive been waiting to see if this permission materialised.
    Now that it has I was wondering how many guns and which calibres would be the most usefull and as importantly what are my local police constabulary (Wiltshire) likely to grant me?
    Ive been recomended to ask for a .308 on my certificate, is this overkill?
    In your experience what guns and calibres would you all recommend as I will be shooting everything from rats to deer and all pests in between?
    Should I consider fac air rifle as well?
    What conditions are they likely to put on the use of the guns on my licience, as this is my first fac? thogh I have been a shotgun holder for over 10 years.
    A moderator or a quiet gun would also be advantageous in many situations here so that would also be a consideration .
    Any advice or opinions would be fantastic.
    Cheers in advance .

308 isnt over kill for Deer, but depending on your local FEO they mat not grant it for Foxes at night. Myself and Im biased I would look at a 25-06, or a 243 (if its Roe) Then if you like and if youve Fallow, Red etc ask for a 243 and a 308. This combination would set you up for life and to be honest if ever the notion took for a Boar you would be set.

whatever you choose it will inevetably be down to personal preference to calibre and what rifle fits you.

have fun deciding and chosing
    nutty

.22lr and moderator for rabbit (.22 air can be handy for squirrel control, but non-fac is ok for this), .223 (or .20cal) and moderator for fox, plus a deer rifle, calibre is dependant on the deer or your permission and what you think you will be shooting. If you go for .243 you may get it for fox and deer.
    There is no legal requirment for restrictions to be placed on you, but most forces try and push the boundaries on that side of things. Make sure you are a BASC member, that way you can get help from them.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomag View Post
    .22lr and moderator for rabbit (.22 air can be handy for squirrel control, but non-fac is ok for this), .223 (or .20cal) and moderator for fox, plus a deer rifle, calibre is dependant on the deer or your permission and what you think you will be shooting. If you go for .243 you may get it for fox and deer.
    There is no legal requirement for restrictions to be placed on you, but most forces try and push the boundaries on that side of things. Make sure you are a BASC member, that way you can get help from them.
    as the man said above.

i have the following. as issued by my local force.also a member of BASC.

.308/mod, boar/deer/fox.... slot empty
    .243 deer and fox... tikka 595 and mod/zeiss scope.
    .20 cal fox and vermin/ground game. sako s/491 custom built .20 tactical and mod,zeiss scope.
    .17hmr vermin. cz 17hmr mod and nikko Stirling platinum 4/12x50
    .22lr/mod. vermin, ...slot empty
    .SGC ... no shotgun held at this time.

got all this covered bar the pheasants/partridge/game birds as no shotgun held.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

You have done well - great permission.

I have the following and find it more than sufficient.

.22LR + Moderator. CZ Style and sak mod. Rabbits and vermin
    .20 Cal centrefire + Mod. Semi custom based on sako 75 action + DM80. Rabbits, vermin and fox
    6.5 x 55 + Mod. Blaser R93 + A-Tec. licenced for deer and fox.

As the guys above say BASC membership and they wil help.

Good luck.

Andy

I must congratulate you on getting such a good patch. You must be over the moon. As others have said you have many options but most people would narrow this down to those listed above. I personally have non FAC air rifle for around buildings, shot guns for all the normal birds shooting needs, 22LR for most pest problems inc high velocity rounds to take mr fox at 60-70 yds, a .22-250 for foxes and long range crow shooting, 6.5x55 with/without moderator for fox and deer and .308 unmoderated for fox, deer and boar. You could play around with similar calibers depending on your personal preference.
    I may be wrong but from your post it seems you have little experience with rifles. I am sure you are a sensible guy (asking questions is sensible) but would suggest that although you have passed level 1 there is alot to learn to be both safe and competent out in the field. I would suggest going for you 22LR and something like a 243 for both deer and fox. Then get plenty practice and learn your ground before going out at night. I wouldn't go and get 3 or 4 rifles and be plinking around with them all, as you will master none of them so well initially. I also trust you are confident at deciding on your cull plan and identifying appropriate targets?
    I don't intend to offend you merely from my own experience saying I was taken aback at the power and range of CF rifles when first getting a 22-250 for the first time out on my permissions. You have a wonderful opportunity there and I hope you make the best of it, while both keeping the land owner happy and hopefully improving and retaining a sound herd of animals for your future enjoyment. Bear in mind what the land owner wants and the needs of the local environment (tree protection etc) when considering what you are going to shoot. Too many and you will be reducing future sport, too little and there will be too much tree/crop damage and possibly a reduction in animal quality.
    All the best. Looks like you will have a great 2013.

SD Regular
    Without getting into a calibre debate - which this will inevitably turn into, the advice you're being given is effectively to apply for three rifles - one rimfire, one small centrefire and a larger centrefire. These will cover all the aspects of shooting you require.
    So, rimfire: 22LR or 17HMR
    CF1 : 22 Hornet, 223, 22.250, 20 TAC or 204 Ruger (or similar)
    CF2: 243 upward....

all moderated (so will need slots on your FAC)

No doubt you'll have Fallow on your ground, so personally I'd opt for something with a bit more knockdown power than a 243. My one caveat to this is that if, and I say if your FEO is a little circumspect, he may only want you to have one CF rifle first up. This shouldn't be the case, but I have heard of it - ans if it were the case then a 243 covers all the aspects you need.

One final thought. You've not mentioned it, but if you don't already have an SGC, apply for it at the same time as it is cheaper (and less hassle).

Best of luck - there's some good shooting in your neck of the woods - my old man lives close by.

E t R
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

What do you fancy? How many do you want?

You need a rimfire for vermin .22RF/.17HMR (or both - they are different)

You need a .22 centrefire for fox (.222, .223, 22-250)

You need to decide what on earth you fancy for deer, 1 or two rifles etc. If you are buying ammo stick to something common - .243, .270, .308, 30-06, 6.5X55 you can get ammo almost anywhere. If you decide on 1 deer calibre then I'd not go for a .243 go somewhere in the middle. Or apply for 2 deer calibres.

Once granted you ahve 5 years to buy them, it costs you £26 each time you change your mind. Once you've got a .22RF FAC air looks like a toy. A year after getting my FAC I sold both my pre-charged air rifles as I hadn't needed them once. Still have a cheap springer for pigeons or rats in the garden.

Make sure you apply for a moderator for everything.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

What a question to ask, you are going to be overwhelmed with advise most of it based on personal preference. Any way here’s my thinking:

1. Don’t bother with an FAC rated airgun, too much bother and a limited market if you want to move it on.

2. Don’t bother with a .17HMR – read about some of the problems with this calibre. In any case there are or will be better chamberings along soon.

3. Get a .22 rifle and sound moderator. Cheap on ammo which you can pick up anywhere. Every shooter needs at least one .22 rifle.

4. Get a small deer/fox rifle and moderator, something in .222 rem, .223 or .22-250. My choice would be .223 because ammo is available everywhere, cheap to reload, and easy to sell when you get the itch for something else.

5. Get a larger deer calibre rifle and moderator. The rifle should be in something like 6.5x55 swede, .270win, 7mm-08 or .308win but whatever takes your fancy but bear in mind that it should be legal for large deer and ammo availability. You may also want to consider if you would also want to use it abroad at some time. Personally I think there is a multitude of calibres which are all perfectly capable of killing deer it just comes down to preference. My personal choice for this country would be .308, I don’t know where you got the idea that it is overkill which it most certainly isn’t.

So there you have it my two pence worth. Three rifles and three moderators. You shouldn’t have any problems having that number granted on an initial application. Who knows in a few years time you will have formed your own firm opinions and may have varied them for something entirely different but you won’t have any problem selling on a .22, a .223 or a .308 if you buy equipment of a reasonable quality to start off with.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    What a question to ask, you are going to be overwhelmed with advise most of it based on personal preference. Any way hereís my thinking:

1. Donít bother with an FAC rated airgun, too much bother and a limited market if you want to move it on.

2. Donít bother with a .17HMR Ė read about some of the problems with this calibre. In any case there are or will be better chamberings along soon.

3. Get a .22 rifle and sound moderator. Cheap on ammo which you can pick up anywhere. Every shooter needs at least one .22 rifle.

4. Get a small deer/fox rifle and moderator, something in .222 rem, .223 or .22-250. My choice would be .223 because ammo is available everywhere, cheap to reload, and easy to sell when you get the itch for something else.

5. Get a larger deer calibre rifle and moderator. The rifle should be in something like 6.5x55 swede, .270win, 7mm-08 or .308win but whatever takes your fancy but bear in mind that it should be legal for large deer and ammo availability. You may also want to consider if you would also want to use it abroad at some time. Personally I think there is a multitude of calibres which are all perfectly capable of killing deer it just comes down to preference. My personal choice for this country would be .308, I donít know where you got the idea that it is overkill which it most certainly isnít.

So there you have it my two pence worth. Three rifles and three moderators. You shouldnít have any problems having that number granted on an initial application. Who knows in a few years time you will have formed your own firm opinions and may have varied them for something entirely different but you wonít have any problem selling on a .22, a .223 or a .308 if you buy equipment of a reasonable quality to start off with.
    My concurrence here, but with the added caveat................ LOSE THIS TERM "OVERKILL".. Happy New Year & good luck with your ground!.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!