Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scottish sika

Scottish sika

Travelled up to our ground near Kyle of lochalsh Boxing Day night we passed several sika on the verge at a place called south Laggan just before invergarry on the A82 one of which was one of the best wild sika stags I have ever seen !
    I used to stalk near spean bridge and over five years we maybe shot two sika in that area so I wasn't really surprised to see them but I was just wondering if they are well established and plentifull in that area ?
    Regards Andy

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    They are fairly well established on the North side of the Great Glen, far less populated on the south side, they are pretty well spread out from Dores, then south to the A9 to mid Loch Ness though. Not spread very far East at the moment.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

I know there are sika on Corrour estate to the south of Spean Bridge/Loch Treig. When stalking there a few years ago we were told be the the stalker (Then Niall Rowantree) they shoot them on sight if on the open hill, in an attempt to keep the sika in the trees on the lower ground & away from the reds. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    They are fairly well established on the North side of the Great Glen, far less populated on the south side, they are pretty well spread out from Dores, then south to the A9 to mid Loch Ness though. Not spread very far East at the moment.

TJ
    +1

http://www.bds.org.uk/hres/sika%20deer.pdf

The link to the map above shows the spread of them. Despite shoot on sight stance, they continue to expand their range

Thanks for the info guys I was just surprised to see a few near invergarry as I had never seen them there before
    regards andy

I can assure you there,s as many on southside aswell as the north side, as far down as southlaggan.

The map doesn't show any in the Republic of Ireland ?

Is that because it's not part of the UK or has the population there dropped off ?

I still think it would be cool one year to knock off an 8 pointer in England , Scotland , Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland in one year !

Hi 6 point.
    It's a UK map so does not include Eire. There is however some excellent Sika Stalking to be had there.

Yorkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Hi 6 point.
    It's a UK map so does not include Eire. There is however some excellent Sika Stalking to be had there.

Yorkie.
    How very true

Attachment 23039Attachment 23040

A couple of Irish Stags

Bob