Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: buying new rifles

buying new rifles

how can you buy a new rifle if you already have a one of the same calibre on your ticket already , do you have to wait for the sale of your current firearm before you purchase your new firearm?

Sell yours and send your ticket in with a letter asking for a one for one variation (free)

Quote Originally Posted by charlie-hunter View Post
    how can you buy a new rifle if you already have a one of the same calibre on your ticket already , do you have to wait for the sale of your current firearm before you purchase your new firearm?
    No, you can pay for the new rifle today, but you can't take possession of it until you have the appropriate variation on your FC. Regards JCS

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    No, you can pay for the new rifle today, but you can't take possession of it until you have the appropriate variation on your FC. Regards JCS
    No you can't! There is case law on this. You WILL be in illegal possession of it (even though it is still in the gunshop) and the RFD or other vendor will have also committed an offence.

You cannot buy any s1 gun unless you have a specific authority to acquire one of that calibre. That is the law AFAIK!

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    No you can't! There is case law on this. You WILL be in illegal possession of it (even though it is still in the gunshop) and the RFD or other vendor will have also committed an offence.

You cannot buy any s1 gun unless you have a specific authority to acquire one of that calibre. That is the law AFAIK!
    It seems to me that you know the answer to your own question so why post the question in the first place.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Buckbones View Post
    It seems to me that you know the answer to your own question so why post the question in the first place.
    Andrew
    A little harsh perhaps? Enfieldspares did not ask the question in the OP, or am I missing something? Enfieldspares is correct in his post. This is an aspect of law that is not widely known, even by the trade.

Enfieldspares and Uncle Norm are quite right - little known fact. Colin Greenwood wrote about this in Guns Review many years ago but just wait for the arguement as no doubt there will be many along shortly that will argue differently. Buying a gun from a legal perspective is quite different to buying something like a car. Gunshops are normally quite happy to take a deposit or even full payment in advance but ownership is not transfered until it is signed on to your certificate and for that you have to obtain the necessary authority. That's one reason why I won't pay in advance or pay a sizeable deposit on a gun, just in case the gunshop goes bust while I am waiting for my variation to come through.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Apply for a 1 for 1 variation to acquire the new rifle plus a S7 permit to allow for disposal of the old rifle. atb Tim

Or you could do as i did for my new to me .308 and have another slot with the same caliber as the one you already have and dispose of your existing rifle however you want to etc after.

Bob

so even if I sold a rifle I would have to send my cert straight in, I (probably wrongly) thought all I had to do would be get the relevant sections signed by both parties and inform to police like when you buy one for the first time, then just buy a new rifle and do the process again . So you definitely can't purchase and hold 2 of the same calibre (or get someone to hold your old rifle until sold).

sorry for sounding stupid but when do you apply for the like for like variation and whats an S7 permit?