Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thawing venison - blood

Thawing venison - blood

My frozen venison looses a lot of blood when being thawed in the fridge. Is there any way of reducing this at all?

The reason it is loosing so much blood is down the the speed the meat is frozen. The longer it takes to freeze the the water molecules the larger the ice crystals will be. These large crystals are damaging the cell walls, thus loosing fluids. To improve it, freeze it in small batches and turn down the freezer to the lowest setting.

ATB
    Dom

Why do you want blood in the meat? Isn't that what gives venison that metallic taint sometimes? .

Quote Originally Posted by biffo View Post
    Why do you want blood in the meat? Isn't that what gives venison that metallic taint sometimes? .
    Biffo I think th OP is referring to the red coloured fluid, rather than blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Homes View Post
    Myoglobin?

Frank
    Hi Frank
    It'll be a mixture of myoglobin and cytoplasm from the ruptured muscle cells.

Yes, red fluid rather than blood. Thanks for the tips on freezing, trying to keep the moisture in the venison wherever possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Cry Havoc View Post
    The reason it is loosing so much blood is down the the speed the meat is frozen. The longer it takes to freeze the the water molecules the larger the ice crystals will be. These large crystals are damaging the cell walls, thus loosing fluids. To improve it, freeze it in small batches and turn down the freezer to the lowest setting.

ATB
    Dom
    I don't understand. By lowest setting do you mean coldest? Am I being dense?

Quote Originally Posted by Boghossian View Post
    Yes, red fluid rather than blood. Thanks for the tips on freezing, trying to keep the moisture in the venison wherever possible!
    Proper cooking will lead to better moisture content rather than how it freezes

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    I don't understand. By lowest setting do you mean coldest? Am I being dense?
    Hi Jubnut
    yes, the coldest setting, so the ice crystals formed are small.