Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .17 Hornet

.17 Hornet

Thinking about getting a .17 Hornet for long range rabbit, crows etc, like to hear from anyone that has one.

Don't have one yet but my gunsmith buddy has a CZ527 on order as we speak thru two of our distributers .

We already have 100 loaded rounds and a set of dies on the way so i suspect I'll be loading for this round before to long . CZ "claims" they'll hit the distributers in late january . That my friends is yet to be seen .

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    doe's not pull my trigger steve,

I'm smitten with my 20 tactical as are all my shooting pals.

they are all very very impressed with what it does. i know there's not many about but, i would have to say if i did not have one i would save to get one built after the results of this wee beastie.,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    doe's not pull my trigger steve,

I'm smitten with my 20 tactical as are all my shooting pals.

they are all very very impressed with what it does. i know there's not many about but, i would have to say if i did not have one i would save to get one built after the results of this wee beastie.,

bob.
    yeah, love the 204 but I've got it set up as a dedicated NV rifle so fancy a .17 cal for fun, may look at a .17 rem too, lot more rifles about to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Don't have one yet but my gunsmith buddy has a CZ527 on order as we speak thru two of our distributers .

We already have 100 loaded rounds and a set of dies on the way so i suspect I'll be loading for this round before to long . CZ "claims" they'll hit the distributers in late january . That my friends is yet to be seen .
    Ill be interested to hear what you think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 204 Ruger View Post
    Ill be interested to hear what you think of it.
    Not sure I'll be overly happy with the thing but being as someone else is paying the bill for compnents why would I mind working up a load for it !

Like yourself I like the 204 Ruger quite a bit and the 222 REM even more .

Im not sure about the .17 Hornet really. I have a .22 Hornet, and that is great out to 200-250 yards with 40 grain V-Max. The .17 Hornet will only stabilize a 20 grain Max not the Superior 25 Grainier. They should have been supplied with a faster twist. This in mind i would go for the Fireball or the .17 Rem if your wanting long range rabbits, I don't think the new .17 Hornet will be a any more longer then the original Hornet range round then a decent load developed original .22 Hornet.
    I would quite fancy a .17 Rem shooting the 25 grain V-Max at fast speeds, that would be good but as I have a custom .204, I don't see the point?

Im sure the .17 Hornet will be good and will be great as a 2-250yards bunny buster but its not of to a good start!

Steve.

I have a .17 Ackley Hornet, the predecessor of the .17 Hornady Hornet.

I also have a .20 Tactial for comparison (which runs up to and past factory .204 Ruger specs).

I also have a .22 Hornet for comparison as well as .223 and .17 Mach IV.

Okay, now that I established that I have a baseline to compare the 17 Hornet to, I'll say this: it is probably the most amazingly potent cartridge for its size, period. Is it a 17 Remington? No way. But, it'll reach out a ways (up to about 300yds is really pushing it, but it can be done).

It is ideally suited for small varmints and smaller predators (fox). Varmints can be shot out to 250 yds comfortably (wind gods allowing of course). For fox of any size, I'd keep it to 150yds or less; preferably 100yds.

I feel the 17 Hornet fits a niche that has been missed for a long time. Something between the HMR or 5mm and the high speed sub caliber centerfire cartridges, that's easy to shoot (no recoil) and efficient in powder use and muzzle blast. It's king of hard to argue with a 20gr bullet clocking 3700fps on 11 or so grains of powder, not being an efficient little cartridge. While my brass is a little involved when forming (it is a pretty radical change from the parent case), it has lasted quite a few loadings (up to five loadings now).

Don't get me wrong, when I need to reach out to 400+ yds to bang a prairie dog in the noggin, the .20 Tactical gets pulled out of the bag (my trusty "nine iron" so to speak). But when it is a high volume, close in (300yds or less) varminting job, my little Browning Micro Medallion gets the nod.

I think many, many people will have their initial thoughts on the 17 Hornet changed if they ever see one in action. Once you shoot one on game, well, make sure you have room on your tickets gents...

I think they will be a good little bunny basher, if I was after a slight step up though from my .22Hornet I'd go for a fireball, ok it uses about 5 grains of powder more, but with that slight increase in power you are able to lunch the far superior 25grain vmax at 3800ftps. That is a 300 yard cartridge for fun.

like I said I'm sure the .17Hornet will work well but I just don't get it as there are other option already out there that work better.

steve.

We have a pair of CZ527's in 17 Hornet on order with our distributers now !

Another friend came in today looking for one .