Sell or chop remmie .223

neil the plumber

Have a Remington vssf in 223 that has hardly done anything, but just sits in the cabinet because its so long and heavy. My fox shooting is about a third off/ in a vehical, with the rest off foot. Now, the question is shall I sell this for next to nothing, chop the fluted down barrel or replace the barrel completely.
Any comments or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers neil

Have a Remington vssf in 223 that has hardly done anything, but just sits in the cabinet because its so long and heavy. My fox shooting is about a third off/ in a vehical, with the rest off foot. Now, the question is shall I sell this for next to nothing, chop the fluted down barrel or replace the barrel completely.
Any comments or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers neil

chopping and fluted dont go well together, if you do it will ruin the barrel and resale value
the barrel replace option leaves you with a worthless 2nd hand fluted barrel

sell it, buy a shorter one on a non fluted and get it chopped

Cheers for the reply. I think I need to crunch some numbers. The sale price of gun as is and the price of a new barrel/rebarreled.

A new barrel is going to cost north of £800, and the rifle will not be worth much (if anthing) more than that when it is done.

There are plenty of decent rifles out there at £600 - £800. Trade the VSSF in, it has to be worth £400 - £500, and buy a rifle with a shorter tube or buy one suitable for a chop and re-thread and re-crown job. This should cost £100 - £125 by a good smith.

As much as it grieves me, the gun will have to go. Wise words from the gents above. If its got tits, tyres or a trigger its going to cost you money.:doh:

stick the pipe on guntrader/gunstar/etc. and see if you can fetch a few quid from that alone. instead of going down the custom barrel route, talk to a few gunsmiths who have almost new barrels stacked in the corner from customers feeling that a custom barrel is the only way they can hit deer :rolleyes: I'm sure you can find a decent non fluted .223 remmy 700 series or even another calibre you could change to for pennies and the sale of the current one might just fund that project, including having it chopped and threaded.

just an alternative thought.

A customer was complaining about his vssf swift set up for foxing.
He had a 5-25PMII scope, 26" barrel, heavy hs stock and a T8 mod on his rifle. He was sick of it.
We changed the stock which saved over a pound, changed the mod over a pound again and
changed the scope another pound at least. He then took the barrel back to 20". Goes into the fluting...so what.
If one doesn't like it one can thread a piece of stainless on the barrel and re-shape.

You could also get a Bergara barrel fitted. They are cheaper.
edi

Riflecraft have at least one 55 gal drum stuffed with Remington take off barrels. or so he told me over the phone about 2 years ago.

I think your issue will be if you can sell it rather than anything else. I saw one many moons ago when I was buying some NV from someone on here and picked it up and compared with my finnlight and it was silly heavy. If it shoots well though for what you will get for it I'd chop the barrel down as far as you dare loose a load there and see what its like, you really haven't got anything to loose. Having just shifted a 700 for £450 you just don't get much back for them if you can sell them

why not call a few smiths and see if they have a second hand tube that is usable and cheap enough to drop in,

failing that stick a scope (not a top spec scope but not a bit of crap) and rings on it, give it a good service/clean, zero it and stick it up for sale.

but before you do this bud,

have a look at just what you will need to ask for it price wise. have a good look on this and many other forums/guntrader etc, pick a price that you are happy to let it go for and be patient, if its at the right price it will sell.

kind regards and good luck in your search

bob.

I have been looking around for a .223, I might be interested if you are selling. PM me with info and pics.

J

Back