Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cormorants

Cormorants

Once again these plunderers of freshwater fish have not been included on the General Licence.
    When are the the authrorities going to wake up to the collasal damage these birds do.

Ian.

Don't rattle cages, just quietly go forth and shoot the buggers.

Neil.

I thought you just had to apply for a license if they were an issue,,

I imagine they are not on the GL because they are not a large enough issue to enough people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    I thought you just had to apply for a license if they were an issue,,
    Good luck with that, the paperwork is a nightmare, and even if you do get a licence it will be limited, very limited.
    Over the years we have applied every year for maybe 15 years, 5 times we got a yes, and then it was limited to
    3 per month, and only November to January, at that time on any given day we would have 10 to 15 birds visiting.
    The last time we applied and were turned down, it was suggested that we shoot to scare, works for me

A commercial fishery will get a better response, which I feel is unfair, we as a small club get the rough end of the stick.
    Commercial fisheries are in the business of making money from fishermen, and should have costed predation in to the business plan.
    As a club we have a limited membership, a group of small lakes to make the most of at the lowest reasonable price, if we have to spend
    5K a year on restocking that is a huge hit spread between 300 members, particularly as there is no real gain to the members.

Neil.

There's bloody loads of them about!! Them and seagulls!! :-)

They do immense damage, middle vvrnwy has sufered badly. I was in Ellesmere (shrops) New Years day and they were loads on the islands on the lake.

The last time we were pike fishing at Chew we counted 250+ on one sand bar. They are disgusting filthy creatures and should be erradicated from all inland waters.

People don't realise the tremendous damage they are doing esp on gravel pits. Cotswold water park has been destroyed by the many hundreds that live and breed there.

Good luck to thoose who can get a licence to shoot them.

D

My Gfriends father runs a club on a stretch of the Avon. He has just been granted a license to shoot 2 a month. Or should I say I have been granted the license. I am just waiting for him to give me a copy alonge with details of the land and boundries. When I have more details I shall let you know. I can say that I know it has taken a lot of effort to obtain the license which in reality probably only allows me to take 6-8 birds a year!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    They do immense damage, middle vvrnwy has sufered badly. I was in Ellesmere (shrops) New Years day and they were loads on the islands on the lake.

The last time we were pike fishing at Chew we counted 250+ on one sand bar. They are disgusting filthy creatures and should be erradicated from all inland waters.

People don't realise the tremendous damage they are doing esp on gravel pits. Cotswold water park has been destroyed by the many hundreds that live and breed there.

Good luck to thoose who can get a licence to shoot them.

D

Don't worry something will be done about them by the Government ......WHEN IT'S TOO LATE ! and people have been put out of business ie fisheries
    Enjoy yourself ........it's later than you think !!

Seems a simple solution to me.These birds as well as seagulls are not supposed to be inland birds so keep a full ban on in coastal areas and general licence for birds x amount of miles inland.Really cant see a problem with that,unless i am missing something

Quote Originally Posted by mickjgardner View Post
    Seems a simple solution to me.These birds as well as seagulls are not supposed to be inland birds so keep a full ban on in coastal areas and general licence for birds x amount of miles inland.Really cant see a problem with that,unless i am missing something
    the bit you are missing is the powers in charge have to think that out all on there own ,like my grandchildren have to do ,the sad bit is the kids will get it first ,and they arnt paid to think,