Thread: Roe deer survey..............

Well bugger me!.................Who'd have thought it was the deer eating the woodlands?
    I think that Roe may be getting the blame for too much though in some areas.
    Brown hares and Muntjac are doing a lot more damage around this part of the world. I reckon a herd of fallow locally also will have far more impact than a few roe?
    I fail to believe that people have only just realised this fact though?!
    I'm now off to do a survey around the edge of corn fields to see what is eating them! I suspect it may be rabbits! Who should I send the bill to for my extensive research?
    After that I'll be looking at Oilseed rape fields as I saw a pigeon land in one the other week and suspect it might have been in there to feed rather than rest!
    HELLLLOOOOO!
    MS

Sounds like another job for the boys exercise....Roe have always been here in lesser or greater numbers..+1 on Muntjac as being more of an impact on biodiversity,at least fallow range to feed,although I agree that their damage can be severe to woodland if they are not managed.IMHO

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanker View Post
    well bugger me!.................who'd have thought it was the deer eating the woodlands?
    I think that roe may be getting the blame for too much though in some areas.
    Brown hares and muntjac are doing a lot more damage around this part of the world. I reckon a herd of fallow locally also will have far more impact than a few roe?
    I fail to believe that people have only just realised this fact though?!
    I'm now off to do a survey around the edge of corn fields to see what is eating them! I suspect it may be rabbits! Who should i send the bill to for my extensive research?
    After that i'll be looking at oilseed rape fields as i saw a pigeon land in one the other week and suspect it might have been in there to feed rather than rest!
    Hellllooooo!
    Ms
    lmao ms.....
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I also notice that the black diamonds shown to indicate the 35 site visited throughout the UK are not very well spread and seem to avoid the main holding areas for Muntjac, Red, CWD and to some extent Fallow. A UK survey that doesn't actually cover the whole UK is surely worthless?
    Targetting the central South to look for Roe was never going to be too difficult was it. I appreciate that it was to establish that a single species can have an impact, but what have they proved that we didn't already know?
    MS

+1 with MS about Roe getting all the blame, Munties and Hares do more than their fair share

Like everything else in our society there are people who "KNOW" what they are Talking about, but there are a lot more who "Think they know" what they are talking about, and this is the problem we have in the shooting world, if it involves killing then it ( in the view of the uneducated ) has to be wrong, and, a pretty little thing like a Roe deer could not possibly cause all that damage to trees, this is unfortuneatly the attitude of the Tree hugging fraternity

There`s none so blind as them that don`t want to see!

Bob

Interesting read. Id say that the invasive species do a heck of a lot of damage, but i suppose it depends on the density of deer in the area. Interesting to see no sites were placed in East Anglia? Being from the region it would be interesting to see the results
    Aim Small, Miss Small

A fantastic example of 'no **** sherlock' research

I wonder if this will be used as further justification for the 'if its brown, its down' deer management plans of certain countryside agencies?