Thread: Drying out

Drying out

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much weight a roe head will lose in the 90 days before measuring?

I've a head that weighs 410 grams a month after it was shot. Just wondering how much it might lose before it can be measured.

Novice

weight

In my (limited) experience about 90% of the weight loss occurs in the first couple of weeks if you keep it in a dry environment.

i would usally minus 10% of the skull weight to allow for moisture , as a rule of thumb .

hope this helps

atb lee

wieght loss

I always leave them in the airing cupbard for a 2 weeks, that seems to do the trick-I always ensure that they are bleached out first or you will end up with scraggots in the clean washing-(which is never a good thing when you share the house with 3 females)!

Much as the other posts I would say that the weight loss is within the first 2 weeks & if the head is a month old now that thet should be pretty much what it would end up at.

Regards Lee

wieght loss

I always leave them in the airing cupbard for a 2 weeks, that seems to do the trick-I always ensure that they are bleached out first or you will end up with scraggots in the clean washing-(which is never a good thing when you share the house with 3 females)!

Much as the other posts I would say that the weight loss is within the first 2 weeks & if the head is a month old now that thet should be pretty much what it would end up at.

Regards Lee

Has anyone got a rough guide to what score a roe trophy (full skull) could achieve based on the weight only?

i.e above xxx grams a bronze, above xxx grams a silver etc?

scores

I have always just taken a trip down to see Richard Prior to get mine done in the past.

I think he charges 15 each + madal cost, its a bit of a mine field just looking at the total scull weight I think, as I have a Gold & Silver on the dining room wall & the weights are almost identical (the gold has bigger antlers though with a smaller scull).

I am sure that both were over 450gms, but I would need to dig out the old score sheets to be exact.

Regs Lee

Mudman,

The rule of thumb that I use for full skulls and which I give to those who are thinking of sending heads to be measured is as follows:

Once the head has dried out, weigh it and subtract 90grms. Then apply the following table:

Full skull-90grms = 365grms = Bronze Medal
    Full skull-90grms = 420grms = Silver Medal
    Full skull-90grms = 500grms = Gold Medal

I emphasise however that this a rough guide as there are other considerations to be taken into account and some heads have plenty of weight but less volume and vice versa.

If you need more, please contact me and I'll go through it with you,

Tony