Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shooting sticks or bipod

shooting sticks or bipod

hi all,
    im just woundering weather shooting sticks would be more useful and easyer to use for stalking, or would a bipod be better?
    which shooting sticks are the best value for money??
    many thanks
    simon

I have both and find sticks very good to shoot from. I don't have much experience of stalking though. I have a set of Deerhunter sticks which were cheap enough from Sportsman. I have a three stick setup but would go for two if I bought some more.

Quad shooting sticks every time for me. They can be used as a sturdy single rest, double or full quad for ultimate stability...at £40 you really cant go wrong
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I think it depends on your ground to be honest. In woodland and when stalking coniferous forest I use the sticks almost exclusively (I like the quad sticks but many do not) as this allows me to shoot over bracken and undergrowth more easily. If on the other hand you stalk on the hill or around the edge of fields then a bipod may be a better bet. Often I will keep the bipod on my rifle whilst carrying the sticks and have both options available.

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    I think it depends on your ground to be honest. In woodland and when stalking coniferous forest I use the sticks almost exclusively (I like the quad sticks but many do not) as this allows me to shoot over bracken and undergrowth more easily. If on the other hand you stalk on the hill or around the edge of fields then a bipod may be a better bet. Often I will keep the bipod on my rifle whilst carrying the sticks and have both options available.
    Agree. I use a home made set of 4 sticks and have a sitting bipod on the rifle. When stalking on open hill I will take a walking stick rather than the 4 sticks. Regards JCS

I agree. I have a home made set of sticks as a tri stick combo. Very useful for woodland stalking.

Tusker
    Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post

JCS is right personal preferance I make my own tri stick rig for woodland/flat ground not much use for bipod on most of my stalking as land is too flat so even take that off unless going somwhere hilly.saves weight and thiscarries as little excess as possible

Very much personal preference but as a general rule you will probably find it is a bipod for the highlands and sticks for woodland. I would discourage using both at the same time as it makes your setup heavier and they tend to get in the way of each other.

Most people can learn to use a bipod without much trouble but it is a skill to be able to carry and use sticks properly and it is well worth learning.

Sticks for under a tenner - look up the many threads on here that details making them out of green plastic coated bean poles from the garden center.

I use both a bipod and twin sticks, tripods & quads look to be a bit too fiddly to deploy quickly, with practice twin sticks can be set up with the left hand as the right hand eases the rifle forwards and no real problem with resting the folded bipod on the sticks, in fact I find it more stable. atb Tim

I would advise both, and depending on the land you stalk one may see more use than the other. Round near me I would hardly ever take a shot off a bipod, its just too flat. But it comes in very handy when taking shots off sticks to kinda "lock in" your rifle to your sticks. Works for me anyway!

As regards buying sticks, id make them if I were you. Using two reasonably straight and thick pieces of hazel I find the best. Drill and hole through both after they have dried for a week or so and put washers inbetween. Add some lengths of innertube on the top of the sticks where the rifle rests will stop you wearing away the hazel. Hope this helps!
    Aim Small, Miss Small