Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Travel

Gun Travel

While I am far from knowledgible about traveling with a deer rifle in the UK etc I am wondering if I had stalking set up in say England , Scotland , Northen Ireland and Republic of Ireland is it possible to get one permit and travel relatively freely in all areas ?

Or maybe a permit for the UK and another for the Republic ?

Theoretically a visitors permit could be valid in Scotland, England & Wales but the situation in Northern Ireland is different and Ireland (The Republic) is an entirely different country all together. You will need someone to apply for you and in effect be responsible for you or vouch for you while you shooting here.
    I have never had any dealings with visitors permits but there are some guys on this site that regularly have friends or clients shooting in this country and have aplied on their behalf. What degree of responsability they are expected to have for the guests and the safe keeping of their guns I don't know but perhaps one of them will explain. Also I would expect some sort of territorial conditions would apply to any visitors permits and you could possibly for instance need a number of seperate permits issued via applications made by the various guides who will be taking you stalking, I don't know on that one.
    Last edited by 8x57; 03-01-2013 at 10:28.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

You will need a Visitors Firearms Permit for the United Kingdom and a seperate Visitors Firearms Permit for the Republic of Ireland. In the case of the UK Permit, you will need a sponsor to make the application on your behalf; you need to provide your sponssor with details of your guns and their intended use. In the case of the ROI, you could make the application yourself but you would do better to let the person with whom you are hunting make the application on your behalf. Allow for 3 months fo the permts to be issued especially with the ROI. I hold both. Good luck

Thanks thats helpfull !

On another note should I expect to be able to bring 50 loaded rounds in the country for a rifle ?

And is it feasible without a great amount of trouble to bring a shotgun along for some birds should the notion strike ? I assume shotgun shells are fairly easy to obtain for a foriegner hunter ?

Yes, shotgun ammunition can be purchased by just showing your visitors permit. You can also purchase rifle ammunition with your visitors permit but the amount and calibre must be stated on the permit. You will be well advised to bring your own rifle ammunition as it may be hard to find in the UK. If you need a place to stay send me a mail, we are about 30 miles north of London.
    Last edited by Munty1; 12-01-2013 at 06:53.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Thanks thats helpfull !

On another note should I expect to be able to bring 50 loaded rounds in the country for a rifle ?

And is it feasible without a great amount of trouble to bring a shotgun along for some birds should the notion strike ? I assume shotgun shells are fairly easy to obtain for a foriegner hunter ?
    For the Republic of Ireland, you also need a deer permit from the National Parks and Wildlife Service - your host has to nominate permitted ground on the application and the whole process is separate to the Visitors Firearms Certificate. Hunting deer in Ireland without this is unwise, given the Wildlife Wardens' attempts to crack down on the huge business of deer poaching in places like Wicklow.

Allow plenty of time for getting your permits sorted in the republic, although the Wildlife Service is a good bit more efficient than the police.

Also, some UK police forces insist on separate visitor permits for shotguns and rifles - mine does. Getting them is no problem and the system allows for a visitor to shoot in several places on one application - if you have pre-booked stalking, just ask your host to list the primary locations on the application to cover your moving around. It takes about a week to process and cost 12 per permit. I usually state that a visitor will bring 200 rounds per rifle and purchase 100 while in the UK if necessary - for shotguns I wouldn't bother importing any ammunition as it weighs too much and it's relatively cheap and easily available here.

Lastly, at the port of entry and exit, because there are no firearm certificates in the USA, you will need to obtain a certificate of ownership for your rifle before travelling - this is issued by US Customs, lists your rifle's serial number and verifies it belongs to you. You need it to verify your right to be carrying a rifle on entry to the UK and Ireland, but also for re-importing your rifle to the US on your return to avoid paying import duty.

Hope this helps.

Adam.

As much as I hate to say it , it's sounding as if the best thing to do if I ever make the trip is to borrow or rent a rifle from someone while I'm there .

Just kinda takes away from it in my opinion if I'm using someone elses gun !

Yes it does. One is likely to be a better shot with ones own rifle.

It also makes a farce of the whole EU thing.

You will need different visitors permits and, in some cases, various other paper work for the UK, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. To be honest you'd be better picking one location and spending the cash and time having a top quality holiday and hunt there rather than entering into the paperwork nightmare necessary to shoot across so many different areas. You are going to spend a fair part of your life, that you'll never get back, messing with pointless paperwork that will allow you to hunt on ground that may all pretty much look the same and might, even though it is in different countries, only be a few miles apart. Quality is worth far more than quantity.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/