Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for someone wishing to get into rifle shooting

Advice for someone wishing to get into rifle shooting

Hi all,

My brother is 27 years old and lives in the North East of England, (Co. Durham) he has been an active hunter with a shotgun for around five years.

Now that I'm involved with rifle shooting/hunting in Norway he has expressed that he would also like to get into hunting with rifles and he was wondering how he should go about it. As i'm a new member here I said I would ask on the forum. Does anybody have any advice/recommendations to help him get started?

I would really like to arrange a future hunt for him in Norway with me, but as far as I'm aware, in order for a foreigner to hunt in Norway with a rifle you need to have the necessary paperwork/qualifications in your home country.

Also, is there anybody in or around the North East who would be prepared to take him with them on one of their stalks and teach him about stalking, he would be more than happy to watch, learn and help in any way he could? He has his own transport so is prepared to travel a reasonable distance.

Thank you
    Jonathan

A lot of people start off with a .22 rimfire for a while as the police prefer you to have some experience with firearms (at least they do in Lincs) before they'll let you have a centrefire although he may be lucky and be granted one on his first application. After spending a while shooting rabbits and putting plenty of bullets through his ticket he should then have a better chance of getting a centrefire for foxes/deer. Around me if you can get out lamping with a keeper and spend some time around rifles you have a good chance of being granted one as long as you have ground to go on etc. Doing DSC 1 should also help show a bit of willing that he's interested in doing things the right way.

Hope this helps a bit

Ben

Re: Advice for someone wishing to get into rifle shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Jonher
    Hi all,

I would really like to arrange a future hunt for him in Norway with me, but as far as I'm aware, in order for a foreigner to hunt in Norway with a rifle you need to have the necessary paperwork/qualifications in your home country.

Thank you
    Jonathan
    Correct, but as there is no requirement for formal paperwork in the UK to hunt (don't you just need permission from landowner and FAL) then he doesn't have to present anything here in Norway.
    You could always get in touch with NJFF for further clarification.
    The practicle shooting club I belong to has a group of UK regulars that come over. Their expirience is that coming here is no problem, going back
    to the UK is a complete PITA.

Re: Advice for someone wishing to get into rifle shooting

Quote Originally Posted by "viking
    Correct, but as there is no requirement for formal paperwork in the UK to hunt (don't you just need permission from landowner and FAL) then he doesn't have to present anything here in Norway.
    You could always get in touch with [url=http://www.njff.no/portal/page/portal/njff/artikkel?displaypage=TRUE&element_id=63397
    NJFF[/url] for further clarification.
    The practicle shooting club I belong to has a group of UK regulars that come over. Their expirience is that coming here is no problem, going back
    to the UK is a complete PITA.
    Thanks viking,

I'll send them an email and see what response/information I receive!

I don't have too much faith in NJFF to be honest, as when I was enquiring about purchasing a rifle/hunting I was getting conflicting information about whether or not I needed to sit the "jegerprÝve" (Norwegian Hunting Exam) I ended up just doing it the end, better to be safe than sorry

Just for the record, where in Norway are you based?

Hilsen/Regards
    Jonathan

If your a resident in Norway, then yes you would have to. I did it, so now
    just do the shooting every year.
    I'm near Stavanger.

A Good way of getting into Rifle Shooting is to find the nearest Rifle Club and make contact with them. That way he can join as a probationary member learning about different calibres, gaining practical experience as well as theoretical knowledge from people more experienced which all helps when applying for his FAC.

Then (assuming he has land he can shoot over), he can get certain calibres cleared for the land and start shooting live quarry. As Benc said, start with .22lr or .17hmr before going for the larger calibres. Also if he intends to stalk deer, then the local FEO will probably want DSC1 minimum or at least for somebody experienced in a suitable deer calibre to act as his mentor.

Tell your brother to look on either the NRA (NAtional Rifle Association) or the NSRA (National Small Rifle Association) website for a link to finding a local club.

Shame he wasn't closer to me, as I'd offer to take him out after rabbits, rooks etc with the .22lr.

Rifles are something I've been shooting for a few years in the smaller calibres at various clubs and on Farmer/gamekeeper friends land, but have only just got my FAC. I wish I'd done it sooner!!!!!!

SS
    SS

For hunting in Norway, A foriegner needs to have the correct paper work to hunt in their own country, therefore anyone from the UK who has a fac/sl. They may also borrow a rifle, if they are not hunting under supervision then they may have to do a shooting test[for moving elk].
    The Norwegian system is very simple and you have absolutely no hassle taking firearms into the country, I,ve flown into Bergen, Oslo &Stavagaer airports no probs at all, Norwegians are keen hunters and I've always been shown a huge ammount of hospitality and guidance when hunting there, our country could certainly learn a thing or two

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer
    For hunting in Norway, A foriegner needs to have the correct paper work to hunt in their own country, therefore anyone from the UK who has a fac/sl. They may also borrow a rifle, if they are not hunting under supervision then they may have to do a shooting test[for moving elk].
    The Norwegian system is very simple and you have absolutely no hassle taking firearms into the country, I,ve flown into Bergen, Oslo &Stavagaer airports no probs at all, Norwegians are keen hunters and I've always been shown a huge ammount of hospitality and guidance when hunting there, our country could certainly learn a thing or two
    There is no moving target shooting test.
    THe only qualification you need here is called the 'JegerprÝve' or
    'huntertest' literally translated.
    This consists of a minimum number of hours doing a theoretical course,
    followed by a mulitpleguess exam. Once this is passed, that's it, nothing more for the rest of your life.
    Except if you want to shoot what is classed as 'large game', roe deer and bigger, although roe deer can be hunted with a shotgun.
    This is a shooting test with an obligatory 30 training shots taken over at least
    2 seperate training days. Then a qualification shoot at a sillouette of 5 rounds, any shooting position, in the 'kill zone' at 100m. This is taken every year.
    If you use a shotgun for hunting, or go after 'small game' there is no annual
    shooting proficiancy test.

You do not need to start with a .22 that's cods wallop, all you need is written proof of an invite to stalk, that's it
    If your brother is serious all he needs do is book some stalking, get letters of invite etc then put in application, always good if there is a local rifle club as it does help but it's not essential and I never needed it, what they did say was I couldn't have a couple of rifles I shipped from the states I have stored at a mates RFD without joining a rifle club as they were stretching the point a little for stalking use
    Why not ask admin if he can book a stalk on the SD ground for starters and this will give him a good idea on how to go on.

I only said a lot of people go down the .22 route, it is a good way of gaining experience before getting a centrefire. In fact, my first application was for a .22-250 only and it was granted no problem, I didn't bother with a .22 for a couple of years; so yes you can get a centrefire on an initial application but it is not really the norm.