Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: winchester .17 super magnum

Could make a good fox round if it dosnt have the same bullet stuck up the barrel issues that the HMR does.

This one actually makes claims to be suitable for fox, .17HMR did not.
    You'll have to wait and see what the quality control will turn out to be like on ammunition manufacture. These .17s are coming along thick and fast now.
    Last edited by 8x57; 03-01-2013 at 21:16.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

The 17s really are coming about in all configurations these days maybe they will catch on to what the 17 rem started in 71 and start sellin new rifles in chambered in this cal again sure would love to see a brand new sako/tikka in 17 remington

So far, there are no rifles for it slated except a Savage Model 25 variant.

I ran the numbers on the last ten shots that guy took in the video. High: 2925 fps. Low: 2509 fps. Extreme Spread 416 fps. Average speed 2859 fps. Standard Deviation: 78.4 fps.

Make of it what you will! ~Muir

Wonder if they'll figure out they might need to make brass for it?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Wonder if they'll figure out they might need to make brass for it?
    Fortunately it's a rimfire Steve so you won't have to worry about it.

You are going to have to bite the bullet with your fireball and buy case forming dies. My mate had the same problem as you and having searched the length and breadth of the country landed up buying the dies from the U.S. They certainly weren't cheap. Perhaps I can persaude him to form some cases for you. You never know he could make a business out of it and recover some of the extortionate cost of the dies.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    So far, there are no rifles for it slated except a Savage Model 25 variant.

I ran the numbers on the last ten shots that guy took in the video. High: 2925 fps. Low: 2509 fps. Extreme Spread 416 fps. Average speed 2859 fps. Standard Deviation: 78.4 fps.

Make of it what you will! ~Muir
    Good spot Muir - from the printout on the video I assume? It strikes me that the high and low numbers are a shade below the factory stated velocities for the two offered loads. I guess it's possible he fired both loads on the ticker? I'll look myself, but if there are two discrete groups this may explain it (in part) - I'd certainly feel better if that weere the case - it's a big spread otherwise.....

Interesting calibre though - suspect the price point and ease of access will decide how well it is adopted here in the UK.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Interesting calibre though - suspect the price point and ease of access will decide how well it is adopted here in the UK.
    Not forgetting whether or not it is universally approved for fox by all areas ?

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    . You never know he could make a business out of it and recover some of the extortionate cost of the dies.
    There are a few guys here in the states that do exactly that. You'd be surprised how many people would rather buy formed cases than form them themselves (even when dies are readily accessible).