Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One rifle - another one!

One rifle - another one!

Some advice please wise fellows....

Started stalking (shadowing a mate) winter last year, bought first rifle early summer. Second hand Tikka T3 in .243. At the time I saw my shooting as mainly fox and roe, the odd red. Love the rifle - shoot GECO 105gr for everything - and since have had a few foxes, a roe doe and a 10pt red stag. The stag stumbled a few paces and fell, the roe dropped on the spot and the foxes, well, job done . Happy how it's performed (albeit limited use!) so far.

Having got access to more ground since getting my rifle, I reckon my current and future shooting to be 50% roe, 40% red, 10% fox. I am now totally hooked on stalking and this year want to buy a rifle from new to last me for the forseable future.

Just got additional slots for .308 and mod, which I am allowed to use for deer and fox (ie. inc. lamping) and I intend to sell the 243 to fund the new rifle. Do not wish to have more than one centrefire.
    My stalking is mainly small fields on woodland boundaries so the sooner they fall the better. The reds come pretty big round here too! As a relative novice I won't take long shots and I like the 'mellowness' of the 243

However, looking at other possible calibres. Have shot (briefly on ranges) .270 (modded but still found it a touch angry... wuss) 6.5X55 (really liked it) and .308 (very nice to shoot, three pals have them).

So in my rambling way I am asking for suggestions. Stick with what I have on my ticket (308) or look to 'one up' from 243, ie 6.5X55 or maybe something like 25.06.
    I only use - and only intend to use - factory ammo, sorry - lazy.
    Pretty sure my local RFD stocks all of the calibres mentioned above.

Really don't want to know which calibre is 'better', more which you think will suit me (after reading all the waffle!)

Thanks in advance

Tim

I think that all will do everything you ask of them. I would suggest you keep an open mind until you find a rifle that you like and fits you well. Different stock designs can have a huge impact on percieved recoil that can turn a pussycat .308 into some sort of snarling beast that will make you flinch each time you fire it. (trust me my first .308 almost had me crying out 243 in my sleep!! but when I got my second one it was far more comfortable with less percieved recoil by far)

If you have a slot for another deer rifle it will be easy enough to do a one for one variation to a slightly different calibre should this be necessary. If you are not too far from Steve Beatys place he will often be able to allow you to test fire before you buy.

They fall over whatever you use. Sounds like you have settled on a couple of contenders. Personally I do not like 'lobbers' but different weights and bullet types will give you a good all-rounder.
    You won't get much better than your .243 though...........

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    I think that all will do everything you ask of them. I would suggest you keep an open mind until you find a rifle that you like and fits you well. Different stock designs can have a huge impact on percieved recoil that can turn a pussycat .308 into some sort of snarling beast that will make you flinch each time you fire it. (trust me my first .308 almost had me crying out 243 in my sleep!! but when I got my second one it was far more comfortable with less percieved recoil by far)

If you have a slot for another deer rifle it will be easy enough to do a one for one variation to a slightly different calibre should this be necessary. If you are not too far from Steve Beatys place he will often be able to allow you to test fire before you buy.
    Thanks for that - been toying with the idea of visiting Steve as it happens.

Understand what you mean about recoil on different rifles... my T3 243 is very pleasant to shoot - smooth. Yet my pal's 308 Steyr Pro Hunter (ok weighs a bit more I suppose) is even more comfortable... REALLY smooth, seemingly less recoil than mine. Very much like both - proper 'working' tools.

I went for the 308 slot as at the time it seemed most likely. But with the intention of swapping the slot if I changed my mind

SD Regular
    Seems that your needs are one of the few times when a 25.06 or even 257 Weatherby Magnum appears to be the optimum choice!

Use 117 grain bullets so flat shooting for foxes but with all that velocity killing on larger deer and ensuring quick killing too.

But make sure to insist on a full twenty-four inches of barrel!

This advice being based on your ever only using factory ammunition of course. Garlands at Edingale near Tamworth have stocks of Weatherby rifles.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 03-01-2013 at 23:28.

I'm not sure you could rely on a shop having 257 weather by ammo in stock! Capable though the 25/06 is, I personally would consider the 270, 308, 30/06 and 6,5x55 to be better choices as bullet weight is severely limited with the 25s.

Is a .243 not the same as a .308 just necked down for a smaller bullet? would there not be similar recoil?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie-hunter View Post
    Is a .243 not the same as a .308 just necked down for a smaller bullet? would there not be similar recoil?
    It is, but you are throwing out 50% more lead so increased recoil (Einstein's theory relativity).
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    It is, but you are throwing out 50% more lead so increased recoil (Einstein's theory relativity).
    Oh I think that just plain old Newtonian physics will do fine for this, equal and opposite reactions and so on. After all, the "C" in "E=mCxC" (can't work out how to do a superscript here) refers to the speed of light of 300,000 km/s and I don't think even your home-loaded wildcat rounds achieve that. Otherwise you'd have to aim at where the deer used to be due to the effects of time dilation.

You're right Sir, good old Isac Newton will do.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.