Non tech scope

sikadog

I am looking for a scope for my new 06 it needs to be fairly basis I require 3-9x42 or 4-12x42 no paralax adjustment but good quality glass and not too expensive any suggestions.

So long as seen in person or from reliable dealer ( :eek: )- so as to avoid the dodgy batch last year - worth checking Minox.

Also Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 - the only one with Viper optical quality, but without dials, knobs, do-hickies etc.

Sadly most manufacturers are convinced 'we' want minimum 65mm objectives, flux capacitors, fission powered illumination - to 'shoot better' - or is it they are trying to convince us? :-|

Maybe the best combination of bomb proof, very good optics, simple and not too expensive must be Kaps in Germany.
These scopes are built in Germany (a few miles next to S&B) and use the best glass. My favourite was the 2.5-10x50.
But they also have a 2-8x42.
mm sporting has contact to Kaps in the UK.
edi

I am looking for a scope for my new 06 it needs to be fairly basis I require 3-9x42 or 4-12x42 no paralax adjustment but good quality glass and not too expensive any suggestions.

2nd hand variable S&B or zeiss Diavari would both be good choices.

Not too expensive but very good, Burris Fullfield 11 3/9x40 ballistic plex cracking scope for not much money.

DDS. Heard of only via several customers - so perhaps should have added 'alleged'!

I understand that some ZA-5 Scopes experienced issues with their focus ring and/or ocular piece. I understand Minox service was all you would expect and problems were sorted PDQ. It was more than one or two - hence considered a batch issue - I do not know the specific cause.

Personally rate Minox highly and very pleased to see good 'bread n butter' scope models out there. I'm happy to use and recommend them. Stuff happens and Minox got it sorted to my understanding. I would implicitly trust a direct Minox approved dealer - but it can be hard for a customer to differentiate who is a direct dealer with regard to many brands.

Does the reliable dealer part of the sentence need explanation? ;)

Thanks Moray, i did find a video about the fault you mentioned, as you say just a batch i think.
I have a ZA5 and it is fine.
Cheers
Richard

Thank you for the query - I'm a big fan of Minox and in particular of 'low fuss' scopes for stalking and they are a quality manufacturer that are currently providing them. My initial comment could have been misconstrued, so useful to clarify.

I had the 3-9x40 NIKON MONARCH on one of my R 93 in 9.3x62 and was very pleased with it during "normal" daylight conditions...
It worked just fine and didnt get any problems with the calibre, the weather conditions or anything else....!

Get a good .nikko sterling deluxe 4-12 x 56, nikko sterling diamond 4-12 x 42 or simmons atec 2.8-10 x 44 [phillipnes] these do the job for me clear optics, cheap and hold zero dead deer and foxes are proof these work . my nikko sterling deluxe has over the years taken a hamerring and still held its zero but last week i fell and landed on the scope the turret cap jumped a thread on the turret so i could not if needed re zero it . now sent off to paul burke to sort out. I found another nikko sterling deluxe 6x56 model on evil bay got that for £37.00 last night .

I've been impressed with Docter Optic scopes. Two out of my three stalking rifles wear the 2.5-10x48. I even sold on a S&B 8x56 to fund the purchase of one of them. Both of mine were bought second hand for about £375 each.

So long as seen in person or from reliable dealer ( :eek: )- so as to avoid the dodgy batch last year - worth checking Minox.

Also Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 - the only one with Viper optical quality, but without dials, knobs, do-hickies etc.

Sadly most manufacturers are convinced 'we' want minimum 65mm objectives, flux capacitors, fission powered illumination - to 'shoot better' - or is it they are trying to convince us? :-|

I think you have something there. But most people with high end scopes will disagree with you. A possible exception to that, might be that Burris scope that has the range finder built in and illuminates the hold over.

why variable?

I had three variable Leupolds.
All fine where shots presented themselves in a timely manner and allowed suitable choice of zoom, parallax (if applicable) and time taken for shot

nightmare if a roe popped out of the long grass and stood for 3 seconds before moving into further long grass!
the eye relief changed, the zoom was a faff and I felt rushed and hassled

moved to a 7x50 for one rifle and a 6x44 for another. both older Nikko Stirlings (one Japan, one Phili)
no parallax, no zoom, can still head shoot rabbits at 80-90yds with one of them and any deer within normal ranges with the other.

only have one zoom now and it tends to sit at 6-7x its a S&B 4-12x40

they are useful at the range but I am out shooting fluffy things more than paper now and the scopes have changed accordingly

you can get some serious glass for less than £4-500

under £300
Swaro 6x42 No4 ret with £75 worth of mounts
bargain of the century!
(don't take the "won't post to the UK for granted" email them, they always post if you pay promptly and have a good history)

SWAROVSKI Habicht Zielfernrohr 6 x 42 Abs.4 mit EAW Obermontage | eBay

Last edited:
Back