Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fox load .... and roe

Fox load .... and roe

Hi all, Im new to reloading and need a little advice please. I have looked for this info, but havnt found it in the directory so ....

I am looking for a suitable bullet for my CZ .223 american ( I believe it has a 1:12 twist ) I have a few factory 50gr Vmax and wonder whether to stay with them or to try 40 Vmax ? They will be used for fox and ground pests/vermin.

I will probably be buying some 55gr soft point to load for roe as well.

I intend loading with Varget and will also be trying N133 soon. Any information or advice accepted.

Regards Alan

My view would be to go for one load. Focus on the roe shooting. I have never had a fox complain about being shot with a game bullet. I don't shoot many roe with either 22.250 or my .223 but when I do I use a 50gr round nose and it's very clean, accurate and non damaging - apart from the obvious of course. Foxes don't take a great deal of killing in my view and as long as you can get an accurate shot placed then they'll go down. Not trying to over simplify here guys - forgive me if you are a foxing expert. But I see people with 'special' fox rounds made from depleted unobtanium dipped in gold leaf, poison core, laser guided with retro boosters doing MACH 3.5. I just shoot them with what's in the gun.

So there's my two penneth. One round, good for roe. Load them up, stick them in your rifle. One point of aim, doesn't matter what you point it at. It'll do the job.

Chris

I'm with you Chris J on this one. KISS - keep it simple stupid (no offence intended).
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
    My view would be to go for one load. Focus on the roe shooting. I have never had a fox complain about being shot with a game bullet. I don't shoot many roe with either 22.250 or my .223 but when I do I use a 50gr round nose and it's very clean, accurate and non damaging - apart from the obvious of course. Foxes don't take a great deal of killing in my view and as long as you can get an accurate shot placed then they'll go down. Not trying to over simplify here guys - forgive me if you are a foxing expert. But I see people with 'special' fox rounds made from depleted unobtanium dipped in gold leaf, poison core, laser guided with retro boosters doing MACH 3.5. I just shoot them with what's in the gun.

So there's my two penneth. One round, good for roe. Load them up, stick them in your rifle. One point of aim, doesn't matter what you point it at. It'll do the job.

Chris
    Chris i hear you about "special" fox rounds, i feel behind the times with my 6.5X55 and 223, lucky the foxes round here aren't fussy
    Last edited by Rotwild; 04-01-2013 at 14:47.
    And yet another 7mm-08 user...

Yeah, never had one bounce off. Actually that goes for either the bullet or the fox!

Which is good, because pest or not, I have no wish to be chasing around after an injured fox. Shot one with my 300 Win the other week, 200 gr RN. Far too big - obviously. Clearly not suitable.

Chris

Messy !
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Do you know what, it wasn't really. 200 gr very solid bullet at 100 yrds pretty much passed through. Perfect entry just behind the shoulder, not much damage on the other side. I would love to have recovered the bullet. More expansion as it hit the peat I would have thought. It just lay where I shot it. It didn't even spin it around. I suppose in terms of only shooting foxes there is technically a perfect bullet - one that hits them hard enough, dumps all of its energy, does fatal damage and doesn't exit whole. It's just that it isn't necessary. I don't go to that trouble with a deer bullet.

I have a 17 Rem CF too with 20 gr V max at 4200. I love it. It turns foxes into soup inside, but it's the only round that I have shot where a fox hasn't dropped on the spot at times. I don't shoot many so it's not a huge sample, but based on that result, I might not use it if all I did was foxes. But as I say, a small sample to judge. Love the rifle.

Chris

55grn soft points with 26 grains of varget were brilliant in my .223 for both foxes and muntjac. best option as said is to just find a load that works and stick with it for both, just use a soft point rather than ballistic tip

.222 not .223 but..
    I use 50gr Vmax for foxes and get same POI for 50gr SP for roe (i used the Privi SP's to get on the paper
    Same load, same brass, same primer,
    Norma, CCI400, 22.5gr N133 OAL 55 and 53mm (VMax and SP, measured to point/tip hence difference)

I love the Vmax. never exits, they dont even take a step, just drop
    no real performance for the SP's still itching to christen it on roe

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    .still itching to christen it on roe
    I say we sort that our here in January then :-)