Thread: 223 remington Accutip

223 remington Accutip

Would anyone know the best way to replicate the load of Remingtons 50gr accutip-V boat tail 223 ammo. By chance I used some the other day and the rifle really liked them so would like to load some as near to the factory load as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    Would anyone know the best way to replicate the load of Remingtons 50gr accutip-V boat tail 223 ammo. By chance I used some the other day and the rifle really liked them so would like to load some as near to the factory load as possible.
    Since Remington doesn't use the same powders available to us over the counter, it won't be possible to duplicate it exactly, but a Hornady 50 grain V Max, a Remington case, and some Remington 6.5 primers would be a good place to start. Set up a chronograph and see what load gets you to about the Remington speeds safely. I would try Hodgdon H322.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    I do this from time to time for a change of tack.

The bullets are available from Remington components on the website. Can't remember who the UK distributor is, but I believe that Edgar Bros are the main importers so should have the right link.

The procedure is pretty much as you'd expect. You measure OAL, and pull a couple of rounds., Weigh the components, check whether it's a stick or spherical powder, and whether the bullets are cannellured (non-standard) .... in which case a crimp will have been applied. Reassemble those rounds exactly as you found them, and shoot them with a couple of the original batch over a chronograph. The chrono bit is essential.

For info .... Remington usually use Ball powders in low dust-like charges, which are relatively clean burning. These leave a characteristic reflective glazed-type burnt carbon ring on the mouth of the neck.

Then you have to get to the reloading manuals to find a near-matching powder, or a close substitute. This is the hard part. Usually you end up with a different powder, often slower so in a higher charge-weight, which will match the velocity of the factory load. That's the safest route without Rem. laboratory facilities. Try a few step loads to get the speed right .... then you should be almost there. ATB.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.