Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most challengeing deer species

Most challengeing deer species

Out of curiousity, and a total lack of experience with any of them, which UK deer species would all of you consider the most difficult to hunt. I realize that there will be many different opinions and reasons why, but I'd be interested in your responses.

Thanks in advance AB

For me it's fallow. Very flighty and normally in numbers .
    Atb Steve

For me it is Red and Sika....Just because there aren't any where I shoot

In my limited experiece it would be Muntjac, because I view them as an opportunistic stalk and the fact that they very rarely stay still for more than a second or two !!!

Cheers + ATVB

Philip
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Red hinds on the open hill.....so many watching pairs of eyes, your field craft needs to be spot on. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

This thread has been done before sika hinds won last time. To a novice they are all difficult.woodfordfallow
    Last edited by woodfordfallow; 06-01-2013 at 11:35.

Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    Red hinds on the open hill.....so many watching pairs of eyes, your field craft needs to be spot on. ATB
    In my limited experience of true open hill stalking I've found the above to be the most challenging too, one wrong move and they are off!!

Quote Originally Posted by woodfordfallow View Post
    This tread has been done before sika hinds won last time. To a novice they are all difficult.woodfordfallow
    I don't think this is really about which species/sex won last time, more about what ones personal views are.
    For example, I think stags are easiest in the rut - but that said, none of the species are 'easy'. It usually only takes one small mistake and the stalk is over.
    A novice will make mistakes and hopefully learn from them, or have the error prevented/pointed out during the stalk by his mentor.
    Winning is all about doing more things right than one does wrong, but the percentage of right has to be pretty high where deer stalking is concerned.
    So, in my view if there are lots of eyes watching for trouble, much more care is required and that makes it so much more challenging. Just my opinion. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by woodfordfallow View Post
    This tread has been done before sika hinds won last time. To a novice they are all difficult.woodfordfallow

And you can be sure they will be in the running this time little beastards, but like you say to a novice they can all be difficult heck on the day where I am (we only have red/fallow/sika) they can all be bloody hard no matter how experienced, was after a red hind fri last they all seem to be going totally nocturnal round here ? she beat me yet again yes they can ALL drive you nuts for sure but then again if it were easy we wouldnt do it right

the ones that saw you!
    those are the most difficult!

CWD are the hardest for me, I've never seen one.... but then I'm in Scotland

Sika hinds are pretty switched on all the time