Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First RTA

My First RTA

I awoke early on Staurday morning having arranged to go out as the forcast was for a dry start to the day which would be a nice change. Set off from my house for the ten minute drive to a bit of ground that myself and another chap from this forum manage. I'd left a bit of extra time as I knew that I needed to do a little detour to turn of a gas gun that was near the high seat I was going in so it was still proper dark. Five minutes down the road and I saw the tell tail hazard lights at the side of the road along with a chap in a high viz jacket flagging down the traffic appeared and I could see a young fallow doe in the middle of the road head up but back end clearly gone. I pulled in behind the other car put my hazards on and got out. The guy who had stopped had not hit the deer but knew how bad this strech of road gets so had stopped and called the police.
    Now as it happens a few years ago I'd gone on a Forestry Commision one day RTA course in Thetford with the intention of giving my details to the local police. Never did as I soon realised that it could end up costing me a fortune in petrol for not a lot of thanks. But as I was passing it seemed rude not to stay and offer my assistance. I put a call into the police control room, gave them my details and the fact that I was at the scene and could assist if they wanted me to. I stressed however that I was not going to do anything without a unit in attendance the road was just to dangerous.
    A traffic unit arrived expecting to be be moving a dead deer from the road so they were some what flustered when they saw that it was still very much alive. I told them that I had been in contact with the control room and that I had my rifle with me and could help them out if they wanted me to. Quick confirmation of my details with the Inspector in the controle room and that I was confident, compitent and had 3rd Party liability and the road was duely closed. I breifed the closest officer on what I was going to do and told him that because the deer was still quite mobile, in the middle of the road and the concrete kurbs that I was going to shoot the deer in the chest and that it might move about a bit after I shot it but that was normal. i wanted the round the stay inside the body if at all possible and didn't fancy a round hitting the road surface or the kurb stones.
    Rifle out of case, loaded, double check no traffic, approached the deer and using the bank at the side of the road to give me an elivated shot I shot the deer and was releaved to see a massive plume of blood, confirming that the heart had been destroyed. A couple of kicks and the deer flopped down. Rifle unloaded and back in the car I approached with a knife and did the atlas joint just to make sure and as a way of practice for deer that are less mobile but still alive.
    I dragged the deer off to the side of the road behind some brambles and after a quick thank you from the two officers I was on my way. Releived that it had gone well and in the knowledge that its nice sometime to remind some of the police that as well as providing a service to us (firearms holder) we do also provide a service to them as well.

By the way I blanked seeing nothing from my seat.

Good job.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

well done matey
    "Seek the wisdom of ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child"
    http://www.totally22.co.uk

Sounds like you acted properly and professionally, well done

Well done, what does RTA stand for?

Well done

RTA is a road traffic accident.

Good on you for dealing with this unsavioury incident.

Out of interest you say that the carcass was left in the brambles, should the Local Authority not have been called to dispose of the carcass ? And can anyone experienced in DVCs (deer vehicle collission) advise if a Trained Hunter should certify that the deer does not have a notifiable disease before it is removed from the scene?

The situation in Hertfordshire anyway is that the police may or may not inform the Highways / Local Authority depending on if there is an issue of it causing a hazard or public health issue (near habitation). If it's out of sight then usually they will let nature take its course (cut backs don't you know). As for the Trained Hunter certification, you only certify a deer as fit for human consumption. As its not going into the food chain its not an issue. Also unless you are the one that hit it you cannot comment on any behavior prior to being hit and then shot. If you noticed any outward signs of a notifiable desease then you should report it and take advise on what they (the AHVLA in Chelsford in my case) recommend is done with the carcase. You realy don't want to get involved in carting deer carcases here and there. I personally don't think there is any expectation / legal obligation for you to do an internal examination. I know i didn't and wouldn't as a mater of course.
    Last edited by Win Mod 70; 07-01-2013 at 13:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Win Mod 70 View Post
    The situation in Hertfordshire anyway is that the police may or may not inform the Highways / Local Authority depending on if there is an issue of it causing a hazard or public health issue (near habitation). If it's out of sight then usually they will let nature take its course (cut backs don't you know). As for the Trained Hunter certification, you only certify a deer as fit for human consumption. As its not going into the food chain its not an issue. Also unless you are the one that hit it you cannot comment on any behavior prior to being hit and then shot. If you noticed any outward signs of a notifiable desease then you should report it and take advise on what they (the AHVLA in Chelsford in my case) recommend is done with the carcase. You realy don't want to get involved in carting deer carcases here and there. I personally don't think there is any expectation / legal obligation for you to do an internal examination. I know i didn't and wouldn't as a mater of course.
    WM70- I wasn't having a dig at you, it was more out of interest on the scenario and discussion on protocol.

Although in relation to your last 2 paras, I would be interested on your take on the The Tuberculosis (Deer) Order 1989 (as Amended) http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...article/5/made and particularly Section 4 and 5, as in my mind this applies to stalkers/persons dealing with DVCs (A person who has in his possession or under his charge an affected or a suspected animal) as this had nothing to do with Food Standards and more prevention of spread of bTB.

According to information, live deer show very little if any external signs of TB unless advanced disease is present and it is only by inspection of the lymph nodes, internal presence of abscesses etc that it can be suspected. Therefore unless you perform an internal inspection then how can you comply?

Food for thought and no pun intended.

Firsttimer
    No offence taken. You make a good point. It would be good to hear from those that regularly deal with DVC's and their take on this. The issue would be that the same would then apply to any police officer / council worker would deals with any deer (or for that mater potentially badger) carcase on or near a road. I suppose that it all relates to the wording of "affected or suspected affected animal" aand what reasonable steps you are expected to take.

Always good to open a can of worms.
    Last edited by Win Mod 70; 07-01-2013 at 15:48.