Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SHOTGUNS FOR BOAR/DEER

SHOTGUNS FOR BOAR/DEER

Hi All

After all the rubbish wrote in the press lately about using shotguns for deer I thought I would show these pictures of the Wildboar I skinned last night its the same boar as is in my post on the Wildboar section.
    He showed no ill effects from this and the shot hadn't even penetrated past the skin even though it is AAA shot. The skin where the shot was located was maybe 5mm at the most, a few inches further back this increased to nearly 16mm thick without the fat, and was very tough to cut.
    So anybody in any doubt about the toughness of boar just remember these photos. While on the subject those of you who have skinned Muntjac bucks will know the thickest part of their skin isn't much different to the bit of skin which had soaked up the shot on this boar.
    FOOD FOR THOUGHT ??????

It makes me wild to think that some idiot has shot at an animal this powerful with a bloody shotgun, I'd like to chase em up a field with some No '9' shot

WD

I shot some deer and boar with shotgun, but always used slugs.

They are ok. Can be useful on driven hunt as you can shoot through vegetation when rifle bullet expands.

Greg

F*****g idiots. Goes to show what you do need to take these great animals cleanly.

Thanks for sharing it with us Wayne.

Maybe you should use the .375, it will mean less running.

Maximum gain for minimum effort

Cheers

Jonathon

When he grows up he will use the 375.
    I`ve asked Wayne to post a pic for me hope he does, if you look at the front leg of the boar you will see it`s deformed from a old shotgun wound.
    P.S. I`m the one standing up in the pic
    The other pic is of a 30-06 round I dug out of a Boars neck after it was shot @ 100 m.

Dismayed!

I recently placed a post on another shooting forum about this sort of thing. In the same week I found a muntjac with an ass full of No.6 shot, and then a Roe Buck which is probably high silver/gold medal standard with a mangled .22 LR hollow point bullet in the haunch just under the skin! It seems to be getting quite common now everywhere?
    It was suggested that it was poachers but I reckon it is more like idiots just having a go in the vain hope that they might get lucky and kill the animal. In some ways they are right as the animal will end up dead, just weeks later in agony after a nasty bout of septicaemia or similar!!

John DM said

When he grows up he will use the 375.
    I`ve asked Wayne to post a pic for me hope he does, if you look at the front leg of the boar you will see it`s deformed from a old shotgun wound.
    P.S. I`m the one standing up in the pic
    The other pic is of a 30-06 round I dug out of a Boars neck after it was shot @ 100 m.
    her you go mate

I added another mate just how we can all see what a hansome chap you are happy days mate

My god, they are huge beasts.

Dave

Wayne,
    I have seen the exact same thing. AAA shot just under the skin of a sika spike. There where several pellets very close, to say the shot was not too far away. My father has shot pigs with SG shot which is in a different league. I have shot deer with SG and the 8.4mm balls went straight through. If in the thick stuff, SG in the first barrel and a slug in the second.
    Forget the fox shot for big stuff.
    edi

There's nothing wrong with useing a shot gun on boar. You must use slug though. As long as you only use the slugs out to 50mtrs they are highly effective on boar. With the new generation of sabot slugs and a rifled barrel they are effective out to 100 mtrs with near rifle precision. Its not the use of shot guns thats the problem its people takeing potshots at boar or deer with the the wrong ammo whether it be rifle or shotgun.
    My Remington pump groups 2" at 50mtrs with the 20" i/c barrel.

Has anyone used the Tri-ball cartridge(3x 600 calibre balls) on deer or Boar..

The literature sure sounds convincing, but theres no substitute for real accounts..

regards
    griff