SHOTGUNS FOR BOAR/DEER

I await the incoming flack on this one.

I've shot red, roe and sika deer with shotguns as well as many driven foxes and a few boar.

Licencing will not help, training is the answer.

If the right round at the correct range , there is no problem.

A few years ago I was involved in testing different rifle& shotgun rounds at different ranges for a whole series of scenarious. In the end the findings showed that range was the secret for large game with the correct round, if used at the right range then it is deadly.

Lets start educating hunters/stalkers instead of legistlating firearms, as it's just not enforceable.

I await the barrage

Not from me!

The right range, the right scenario and every calibre and munition has its place.

It does strike me as faintly ridiculous that in the US, shotguns and slugs are seen as the answer to safe shooting in areas of high human habitation.

..... None of which comes close to the level of population in the UK!

Yet here in the UK our police view slugs as being the work of the devil!

Rgds

Ian

Yet here in the UK our police view slugs as being the work of the devil!

I've shot quite a lot on driven hunts with slugs and they can be dangerous. They easily ricochet, especially rubbish Czech S&B like the one on the previous page. They have plastic stabiliser at the end of the slug and can bounce like kangaroo :lol: Polish W8 are much better 8)

Hmmm, the hat wasn`t that bad, will be with me in Africa nxt year Eric, with our mutual friend who`s gonna be leading me astray again.
Remember what I always said about the Boar Eric?
get up close and personal :D
Yep the Freelander did look abit small Wayne,He should have had a Range Rover like me :) :) ,fitted me a treat and even room for one or two boar in the back too.
Kim and Samuel say hiya Eric

John DM said
Yep the Freelander did look abit small Wayne,He should have had a Range Rover like me ,fitted me a treat and even room for one or two boar in the back too.

Hi John
Only just :D :D
DSC00241.jpg

Now thats a good way to show the true scale, stuff it in the back of a range rover!!!
Can you imagine getting pulled over by the old bill with that in the car and a box of cartridges next to it.
I've had the odd pig in the back of my car but never one quite that hairy!!!!

Great piccy, Ezzy.

it does put them into perspective doesn`t it ezzy.
We had to use that posh air suspension that night eh Wayne? :D
Usually it wasn`t too bad getting the first one in, but after that it was a bit of a grunt, most I had in RR was 4.not a problem for me,3 in the back one on back seats,thats what Range Rover is for :D but missus went ballistic when we went to a wedding the next day and there was blood all over the back seats :)

Hi John
It was you with with your muddy boots in the middle of the back seat pulling on a rope that made the most mess :D
I can see the look on Kim's face now when see the state of the RR when we got back that night :lol: :lol:

hi
i am an only rifle hunter that hunt every thing with rifles 6,5x55. 3006 . 375H&H and i own only two combo guns one in 222/20 gauge and a little m6 scout 410/22 lr which i use rifled barrels more often , but i have to admit that shotgun with slug at close range is devastating.
i have seen loads of huge boars killed with shotgun and slugs in the countries where rifles are not allowed.
no doubt shotgun will do the job with range limitation.
the penetraton is not an issue with brenneke slugs and risque of riccochet depends to the hunting ground and could happen with rifles too!
i tested the brenneke slug in my 222/20 gauge combo( just in case meeting a bear in the wood) and at around 40 yards it could totaly penetrate a 5½ thick log! i have pictures, but don't know how to uppload in this forum.
cheers
daniel

Last edited:
hi
i am an only rifle hunter that hunt every thing with rifles 6,5x55. 3006 . 375H&H and i own only two combo guns one in 222/20 gauge and a little m6 scout 410/22 lr which i use rifled barrels more often , but i have to admit that shotgun with slug at close range is devastating.
i have seen loads of huge boars killed with shotgun and slugs in the countries where rifles are not allowed.
no doubt shotgun will do the job with range limitation.
the penetraton is not an issue with brenneke slugs and risque of riccochet depends to the hunting ground and could happen with rifles too!
i tested the brenneke slug in my 222/20 gauge combo( just in case meeting a bear in the wood) and at around 40 yards it could totaly penetrate a 5½ thick log! i have pictures, but don't know how to uppload in this forum.
cheers
daniel

Daniel, try this.

1. Save your photos on your computer
2. Log onto www.photobucket.com.
3. Click ‘Join Now’
4. Go through process of joining, it’s all FREE. You’ll have to remember your ‘Username’ and ‘Password’.
5. When you’re logged on your can upload pictures to your Photobucket album by pressing ‘Browse’ and finding the picture from your computer.
6. Then click ‘Upload’.
7. When the photo you want to enter into the thread is uploaded to Photobucket it will appear in your album, left click the little square to select that photo, left click with your mouse on the IMG Code underneath the photo. The code should go blue. Right click the mouse and copy this code.
8. Return to forum, paste this code onto the page and give us a few words telling us more about your photo.

basil.

Has anyone used the Tri-ball cartridge(3x 600 calibre balls) on deer or Boar..

No personal experience but I presume they are subject to S1 control, so is there any advantage over Brenneke type slugs if you have to get them both on your FAC?

How about these Hexolit & Dupolek expanding 'slugs'? :scared:

Last edited:
Hi Basil
i have the picture in my album here at thestalkingdirectory. you are welcom if you want to see.
regards
daniel

Last edited:
No personal experience but I presume they are subject to S1 control, so is there any advantage over Brenneke type slugs if you have to get them both on your FAC?

How about these Hexolit & Dupolek expanding 'slugs'? :scared:

hi
i can't find those Hexolit & Dupolek expanding slugs to buy here in Sweden. i am very curious to know how they realy acts!

... to show the true scale ...

I often show this pic to people who ask how big our hairy friends really are:

pigs.jpg

That's my son in the back (he's the one with slightly less hair) and he's well over six feet tall.

To add my two pence to the thread, I (like everyone else) completely abhor the taking of inappropriate shots whether by reason of quarry, calibre, distance etc. etc. I've used both rifles and shotguns to take boar and both have their place - I would always prefer a rifle when shooting from a high seat or at any appreciable distance, but a shotgun with a slug is my first choice when walking them up in brush or when shooting driven quarry in a park. The speed of swing and instinctive pointing of a shotgun is essential when you have to take quick shots at close range, but is too inaccurate for longer shots.

If I was on Shooting Desert Island Discs and could only take one, it would be the shotgun (or a double if rich enough) as it takes serious cool to remember to work a bolt when being charged!

Back