Gun Security..

Norrie1956

Hiya.,

Been thinking of this for a while, and chatted to a couple of mates about it too.

I have two gun cabinets, and two ammo cabinets...one for rifles, one for shotguns, one ammo cabinet for ammo, and one for bolts.

I also have the prerequisite two sets of keys, both in places that will be secure, and extremely hard to find......

Now, my question, I suddenly pop off this mortal coil!!!!
:old:

When would my next of kin inform the cops...?? and...how do "they" get into my cabinets if no one knows where the keys are??? And what happens to my guns and ammo?? Would she ( my beloved) be able to sell them?? To enable a good send off for me..:) One thing that wont worry me, is her finally finding out what I paid for them.,...:eek:

To save such goings on, would it be feasible to deposit a letter with my lawyer, telling where said keys are???

I know it will happen one day, hopefully not too soon tho..:D....but, I have no idea at all what the process is for this event.:doh:

The executor of an Estate can get a Section 7 permit that allows them to transfer the said items to an RFD for storage whist disposal is arranged. Ownership is now with the Estate of the deceased.

Access to the deceased's storage can be by the method you describe or by the simple means of forcing entry or the use of a locksmith as the executor now has the legal authority.

Stan

I have also read that whilst you mustn't disclose the location of your keys a thorough search of your belongings should turn them up. Don't be too obscure with your hiding place!

Might be wise writing down the value of the guns and taping it inside the cabinet. Once you are dead she can find out how much you spent!

Apache, Thanks for that...at least I'll be out the way when she does find out...I gave up sea angling a couple of years ago, and when she saw what my rods, reels etc were selling for, she want off on one...they were all in the main custom build stuff, and they were all "bargains"....LOL.......:)

Yep, great idea about the gun value too, will do that this week...and will get the keys in better places too.

Stan, Thanks for the sec 7 advice, I'll also leave a note for her..."just in case"....:)

Again, great advice chaps...thanks..

I have a letter in my safe telling the wife NOT to sell them for what I told her they were worth.. I have told her that if anything happens then she is to contact @@@@@@ my shooting friend who will sort getting a RFD (another mate) to collect and make sure they are sold for the best price.

Outside of this don't forget all the other bits and bobs that will have cost thousands and will also need selling for the correct price, my binos cost £2400 but she would never have a clue what to sell them for, just imagine if they went to the charity shop.

Leave a key with your mate, as long as he cant access your house, its ok.
In my view that would be a breach of your conditions, in that someone would know where the keys were, and could gain unauthorised access, hopefully you will be here a long time, and it maybe your "mate" could fall foul of the law, anything could happen, best way as already referred to "get a locksmith to gain entry"

Of course you could try "Shared ownership" of your guns with your mate, provided he has all the relavant certificates for firearms/and or shotguns, then you both could be in joint possession & joint ownership of all your weapons, and have shared access to them as well..........and if you go first he can access them lawfully, and if he goes first the same applies to you ???

I found a pair of Zeiss 7 x 42 BGAT in a charity shop. In deference to Oberon's blood pressure I won't tell you how much they cost, but it was one score on the RSPCA who had missed their real value!!

David.

I found a pair of Zeiss 7 x 42 BGAT in a charity shop. In deference to Oberon's blood pressure I won't tell you how much they cost, but it was one score on the RSPCA who had missed their real value!!

David.

Normally I'd suggest offering a little extra over and above the asking price, but as it's that mob, I say good onya!

Hey old buddy, leave a set of keys with me :) I won't have full access as I don't have access to your house & in the event of ever needing access I will tell the Mrs that you only paid £20 each but to help out a dear departed buddy I will give her double that :rofl:

Tam :)

Norrie1956,

The post that I made previously is that what will work as that is SOP on an unexpected death.

Stan

Norrie1956,

The post that I made previously is that what will work as that is SOP on an unexpected death.

Stan

Hi Stan, Some great advice here, and I've taken it all onboard..... My cabinets are in a locked cupboard, their is a key for that with my wife, on the back of the cupboard door I've printed up a list of phone numbers for my FEO, my RFD and a mate who will take the guns to his cabinet till they are sold, or handed to the RFD to sell..he will deal with the application for the sec 7,..Inside either of the cabinets is a list of the gun details and serial numbers, and whats fitted to each gun...and my estimation of resale values.....also, prices I would expect for various items, lamps etc etc....I've secreted the two sets of keys about the house...my daughter is a legal secretary at my lawyers, and I handed in a letter noting their whereabouts....hopefully thats all sorted...just in case..:)

Back