Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger Locks & Shotguns

Established Poster

Trigger Locks & Shotguns

I am curious as to how the law defines (as per a shotgun cert) preventing "access to shotguns by an unauthorised person". Specifically, would use of a trigger lock (e.g. Master Lock Trigger Lock | Canadian Tire) meet this requirement? In Canada you are not required to keep firearms in a safe, but instead can just use a trigger lock. Is it reasonable to think that this would be true in the UK? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Best

If you had only one gun you could use a trigger lock as part of your security, but I seem to recall that someone has posted a video on youtube showing how you can break a trigger lock with a screwdriver in a few seconds. atb Tim

Home Office Guidance
    http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/police/firearms/security_leaflet.pdf?view=Binary
    Last edited by timbrayford; 07-01-2013 at 07:53. Reason: additional information

A bit of an eye opener as to how ineffective that type of trigger lock is.

As far as the original question goes, such devices are insufficient as they do not prevent unauthorised access.

Would you really trust a 15 lock to protect your pride and joy? The trigger locks don't stop someone carrying the weapon away to have at the lock at their leisure. You "might" just about get away with a high tensile steel cable running through barrel and action, secured with a highly rated security padlock or similar. A cabinet is not actually legally required, merely a "similar standard of security" so if you can prove that this is as good a deterrent to thieves then there should be no problem. Of course, having the gun on display is discouraged, as it not only brings it to the attention of opportunist burglars, but also makes your house more likely to be targeted by unscrupulous types who might spot the firearm whilst there legitimately.

So no, I don't think a simple trigger lock would ever be sufficient security for the purposes of the firearms act. It is a good idea when the gun is in transit, but should not be relied on entirely. The firearm should be secured in a locked compartment (if possible) of a locked, alarmed vehicle.

Established Poster
    Thanks for the responses. I was more curious as to whether you could use a trigger lock as a means of security when a safe is not readily available, for example, staying overnight in a B&B after a days shooting. I travel about for clay shoots and often it is simply not feasible to find a hotel with a safe in which to store a shotgun. As such, I was thinking that perhaps storing a gun with a trigger lock would suffice.

With regards to the ease with which the trigger lock is accessed, as the video notes "locks are for the honest". I would definitely not use a 15 trigger lock to protect my pride and joy, but I was thinking that in certain circumstances, i.e. travelling, that a trigger lock could be a viable alternative.

The strange think is the law does not seem to be specific for UK citizens in the circumstances you describe for example staying in a B&B overnight.

But people visiting the UK require a visitors permit to bring and use a gun in the UK a requirement is that they state the address or address's where they will stay when in the UK the police are required to check that the security at these address's are up to police approved standard [ basically a gun safe] before granting the permit

"access to shotguns by an unauthorised person" would imply to me that the reference is to simple access to the firearm and not access to USE the firearm. If the weapon is in a cupboard with a trigger lock then there is very little to stop anyone from physically accessing it. Whether they can actually use it, is not mentioned in this statement from my perspective.

There was an article in one of the shooting magazines recently about what you should do when staying in hotels and B&B's to meet the requirement of taking reasonable precautions to ensure that your gun isn't stolen.

I think the suggestion was to keep the bolt or fore-end with you but to leave other parts out of sight and ideally chained/cabled to an immoveable part of the room, like a heating pipe, you can store the barrels and action in different locations.

I do tend to use a trigger lock when needing to leave a gun unattended if I don't have a safe to use, but as has been said they are easy to remove.

I have just been emailed the article by BASC. Its in .pdf format but I will try and share it on here some how.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    There was an article in one of the shooting magazines recently about what you should do when staying in hotels and B&B's to meet the requirement of taking reasonable precautions to ensure that your gun isn't stolen.

I think the suggestion was to keep the bolt or fore-end with you but to leave other parts out of sight and ideally chained/cabled to an immoveable part of the room, like a heating pipe, you can store the barrels and action in different locations.

I do tend to use a trigger lock when needing to leave a gun unattended if I don't have a safe to use, but as has been said they are easy to remove.

BASC article

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hotel Security.pdf 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	23210Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hotel Security p3.pdf 
Views:	19 
Size:	617.0 KB 
ID:	23211

Article is in two files. Hope this helps!!