Thread: Teckel Obedience Training

Teckel Obedience Training

Righto chaps,

My teckel is two years old and I've been a bit slack on the complete suite of basic training. She'll come, sit and has started to heel off the leash and still working through the stay command for a long time as there are a lot of distractions. But one thing I can't seem to get her to do is drop. Anybody got their teckel to drop on command?

thanks chuck.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I often think that we give too many commands to our dogs.

When I have trained any dogs, sit means sit. It also means stay as I want them to sit and I haven't told them otherwise. It also means down as I don't particularly care whether or not the dog is sitting or lying down. With Teckels of course there is very little difference between lying down or sitting .

Likewise I use 'here' which means heel and come here as if I wanted them to 'come here' then it means I want them at heel not running around.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

I taught my dog to drop by getting her to sit then placing a treat in my hand, put my hand to the ground at her front legs and slowly moved it away from her along the floor and gave the command "drop". She shuffled forward and ended up in the desired position. It worked well for me but has to be on carpet not laminate or she slid!

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    I often think that we give too many commands to our dogs.

When I have trained any dogs, sit means sit. It also means stay as I want them to sit and I haven't told them otherwise. It also means down as I don't particularly care whether or not the dog is sitting or lying down. With Teckels of course there is very little difference between lying down or sitting .

Likewise I use 'here' which means heel and come here as if I wanted them to 'come here' then it means I want them at heel not running around.

Good luck with the Teckel, you've gotten further than I ever managed!!!!!

Yes I have been having some success with the stop whistle amazingly! Today I took the Teckel and a GSP or three for a short round the fields. The youngest GSP and the Teckel were working a fence line, I gave the stop whistle when they were about 60 yds away and surprise surprise not only did Teckel stop but she sat as well! Not quite "dropping" but good enough in my book. Second success was her walking beautifully to heel off the lead. I've been a bit neglectful on the heel training an only covered that this week on the lead. She will be 8 months tomorrow so I think she's not doing to badly. Must do some more tracking with her though. She has had 5 finds so far, three reasonably easy but a couple were more challenging so was well chuffed with that. Does anyone use their Teckels on game birds and if so do you use them on deer as well or is it best to stick to one species?

Good to hear Venoepen. I can make her drop but only if I have some food. I've given her some high intensity training this week and its getting better. My dog will flush quail and run down wounded rabbits with the 12bore but she has been trained for deer tracking the day I had her and this is what she does best, walking up sambar deer.