Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ballistic tips ,

ballistic tips ,

So far I have had nothing but praise for the remmington ballistic tips for my 22-250, I've been fortunate that everything I've hit drops instantly dead. That was until Sat night , I called a fox in from well over 300 yards and it stopped and sat just over 100 yards. A nice target face on , squeezing the trigger the unmistakable thwack of hitting the target was heard. Another dead fox I thought, but to my shock when I went to pick up fox it wad still breathing . The shot hit the fox right on the end of its nose and somehow didn't penetrate its skull.
    Anyone else experienced anything like this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0733.jpg  

Looks like it deflected up, have shot the front part of a young bunnys head off before and it's just sat there breathing steadily - would guess if the back part of the brain is in tact then it still gets the signals to breathe.

saw a psychology experiment once where they removed 70% of a rats brain and it was still alive - bullets are different from surgery but flukes happen!

ive had this with 17 but tbh I would look to shoot a front on fox in the bib these days. Hitting anything with a long muzzle on the tip of the nose with most types of ammo ofr calibre can cause a non fatal shot.

Nose = jaw and teeth. Both are surfaces resilient enough to 'encourage' early break-up of an already highly fragmentable lightweight projectile even if given of a ballistic tip such is the velocity of a 22-250.

My K250 with an 85g Ballistic Tip would have drilled on through to at least its stomach.

Perhaps another argument for the 243 fox rifle??

That said I've yet to lose a fox hit with my hornet!

Had the odd one or two over the years, kinda gruesome.Used V-Max,ballistic tips and various others.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie-hunter View Post
    So far I have had nothing but praise for the remmington ballistic tips for my 22-250, I've been fortunate that everything I've hit drops instantly dead. That was until Sat night , I called a fox in from well over 300 yards and it stopped and sat just over 100 yards. A nice target face on , squeezing the trigger the unmistakable thwack of hitting the target was heard. Another dead fox I thought, but to my shock when I went to pick up fox it wad still breathing . The shot hit the fox right on the end of its nose and somehow didn't penetrate its skull.
    Anyone else experienced anything like this
    I have
    I ricocheted a rimfire round off a foxes noggin in exactly this position except mine was a 40yds!
    I shoot them pretty much chest only with Vmax now

The angle of the forehead is very steep and very hard although your shot seems not have made it that far up.

Is it possible it's nose was at a slight angle and spun its head rather than penetrating?

Interesting, I had one that was slightly similar with a .243 that went in the nose and straight out through the neck just below the head, it was still reasonably alive when it got GWP'd that was with 75grn vmax. I don't usually head shoot but it was sitting in a patch of thistles with only its head visible, at 50 yards downhill I went for the neck so I didn't shoot over it. That is pretty unusual if it did just explode on contact

I shot a cull stag last season where the stag was slightly above me and angled downwards at probably 15 to 20 degrees. I shot it with a 6.5x55 168g norma vulkan on a very slight frontal quartering basis from around 100yds max (H/L focused quartering shot so put the bullet JUST at the back edge of the shoulder blade). However, the stag didn't drop, it looked very ill, so I gave it another which did the job; however, I found that the bullet had hit the right place and right angle, but it had hit a rib squarely and due to the stag's slight downward facing position, the bullet had slid down the rib rather than penetrate straight through, until it essentiall slid off the rib and then penetrated but far too low.

I was shocked to say the least, but if you shoot enough deer, you'll see a lot of 'unusual' situations I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I was shocked to say the least, but if you shoot enough deer, you'll see a lot of 'unusual' situations I suppose.
    Yep - 'tis the same with foxes. I recently finished a batch of ballistic-tipped rounds and started a fresh box of home-load hollow-points. I've used both over the years, but for a long time I could never decide between them. I've now come to the conclusion that I prefer the HPs - they're certainly very accurate, and not much gets up after being hit by one. Last night I used one (.22-250) to whack a dog fox at about 250 yards (off sticks), and it just fell over - not even a twitch. Just how I like it.

I use ballistic tips a lot and sometimes they do not quite do what you expect them to. This is why I tend to avoid .243 for deer using 95 grain BT. 120 grain BT in 6.5 x55 was quite sucessful on red hinds with careful shot placement and stopped a fallow pricket in its tracks but failed to exit. Replaced with 156 grn lapua Mega. Two days ago, a 50 metre fallow doe shot with 180 grain BT in 300 Win Mag ran about 75 metres. When gralloched it was found that the bullet had hit the shoulder and deflected back along the body breaking 4 ribs before exiting. No blood trail, but easy enough to follow the slots. I have still got lots of these so I will be using them for a while! I do think that the Barnes TSX in 165 grain is a better choice having shot in Africa with it but once the bullet has left the barrel you can never really be sure of exactly what will happen when it hits what you are aiming at.
    just my thoughts, not too controversial I hope!
    Last edited by Jagdmatch; 08-01-2013 at 20:25.