Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: ferox trout

  1. #1

    ferox trout

    hi lads seeing another thread on here today made me see how many fishermen we have here so i have a wee question, im a keen fisherman myself but ive always been interested in ferox trout as we all know normally only found in scottish lochs the lake district and irish lochs, my question is has anyone ever caught them elsewhere? theres a couple of large resevoirs in north yorkshire i suspect could hold a population as they have the same characteristics as lochs and i know theres brown trout present just wondering if theres the potential for them to become ferox?

    many thanks

    jim

  2. #2
    Ferox, like other trout, feed chiefly on invertebrates when young. After ferox reach a length of 30 – 35 cm, a change occurs, with a switch to an almost entirely fish-based diet,which inevitably leads to their tremendous size,this is mainly due to the large glacial type lochs where insects are not so common,where fish are.
    This change is size-related rather than age-related and has a dramatic effect on ferox growth.
    Ferox, particularly in the cold, acidic lochs of the Scottish highlands, are long lived (a 23-year-old fish from Loch Killin, Inverness being the oldest on record). This fact, combined with their protein-rich diet, translates into much larger sizes than the average brown trout angler will ever encounter.
    I think that if a loch hold char then inevatibly will hold ferox.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by gelert View Post
    Ferox, like other trout, feed chiefly on invertebrates when young. After ferox reach a length of 30 – 35 cm, a change occurs, with a switch to an almost entirely fish-based diet,which inevitably leads to their tremendous size,this is mainly due to the large glacial type lochs where insects are not so common,where fish are.
    This change is size-related rather than age-related and has a dramatic effect on ferox growth.
    Ferox, particularly in the cold, acidic lochs of the Scottish highlands, are long lived (a 23-year-old fish from Loch Killin, Inverness being the oldest on record). This fact, combined with their protein-rich diet, translates into much larger sizes than the average brown trout angler will ever encounter.
    I think that if a loch hold char then inevatibly will hold ferox.
    the resevoirs i have in mind are acidic ( peat fed streams ) and hold large heads of roach and perch so i think its possible..

  4. #4
    Just because a trout may grow very big and become cannibal does not make it a ferox. The ultimate authority on ferox trout in UK is probably a gentleman called Ron Greer who published an excellent book called "Ferox Trout and Arctic Charr" in 1995. He and a few others formed the ferox 85 group for the purpose of catching and researching ferox.
    Basically they discovered that ferox are genetically a separate strain left over from when the ice age left the deep Scottish lochs and their main food source is arctic charr. The book is very informative but quite a technical read as Ron Greer and a lot of his friends were scientists employed at the freshwater fisheries laboratory at Pitlochry.
    Ron Greer is now retired and still lives in Blair Atholl.
    The book is dedicated to a great fisherman called Bruce Macauslan who passed away far too early and was a good friend of mine.

  5. #5
    yeah ive just ordered ron greers book and i just read beneath the black water, a very good read too.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    the resevoirs i have in mind are acidic ( peat fed streams ) and hold large heads of roach and perch so i think its possible..
    big competition for the cannibal trout right there!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    big competition for the cannibal trout right there!
    thats what i think too however the trout will obviously get much larger than the perch can, but ive no problems catching big perch either

  8. #8
    Recent genetic work has confirmed that Ferox trout in some lochs are a different species to brown trout. As Purdey24 has pointed out, Ferox are very likely to have originated as a result of the last ice age. So to answer you original question, it is extremely unlikely that you will find any ferox in Yorkshire. However, as others have pointed out, brown trout can adopt a variety of life styles (remain resident in a river, go to sea or become piscivorous).

    You might not have ferox in Yorkshire reservoirs, but who knows what you might pull out a nice double figure brownie if you stick a big fish bait out there!!!

  9. #9
    yeah as said i suppose just because they are cannibal doesnt make them ferox ..... still worth a crack though

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    thats what i think too however the trout will obviously get much larger than the perch can, but ive no problems catching big perch either
    not always!
    Perch are voracious compared to even a ferox/cannibal trout

    Perch record may only be 6lb odd but there are an awful lot of 3-5 pounders out there!
    Ferox trout in a highland loch will take a very very long time to reach that size......by which time they better be bigger or faster than the local perch population!

    i agree though
    nothing quite like predatory fish on light fly tackle!

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale Trout reel
    By Lucky Sniper in forum Other Items
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-01-2013, 20:49
  2. *SOLD* Trout Rod
    By Lucky Sniper in forum Other Items
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2013, 17:06
  3. Wanted Advice on salmon/sea trout/trout fishing in Appin in early Sept
    By jcampbellsmith in forum Other Sporting Opportunties
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 17:58
  4. massive trout
    By jewfish in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 13:16
  5. small trout
    By happyhunt in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-03-2009, 16:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •