Stalking Trousers

2130martin

What stalking trousers do you recommend,I like the idea of the leather Harkila types.......whats good and whats bad please??

I have full leather harkila and they are a great trouser for winter I do wear long johns with them
they are heavy ......so use braces
hard to clean
probably a bit smelly
but they look good lol
are they worth £400 probably not I would buy the pro hunter if I had my time over again I think .

regards
norma

Nomad plus 4s you might feel a bit damp but they basically evaporate water with body heat. I was sceptical about Nomad claims but they work and quite happy to crawl and lay in wet grass /heather and know i wont be wet for rest of the day. Works so well I brought the smock as well.

Nomad plus 4s you might feel a bit damp but they basically evaporate water with body heat. I was sceptical about Nomad claims but they work and quite happy to crawl and lay in wet grass /heather and know i wont be wet for rest of the day. Works so well I brought the smock as well.

+1with the added advantage of being quiet.

I wear these

http://www.swazi.co.nz/Online-Shop/Pants-and-Shorts/Driback®-Pants/

Warm, quick to dry if you manage to drench them (only the backside area is totally waterproof)and very comfortable, pretty much do what they say on the tin.

Highly recommended.

Regards

BP

Am I missing something here I'm sure they're great trousers but isn't it important to keep the front dry? I don't often sit down whilst stalking.

As for trousers the Harkila stuff is good , I have the Kodiak leather ones for winter (I think they are discontinued now but there'll be something similar). Only criticism is as stated above they are heavy. As for washing them only once a year whether they need it or not and the best thing for the leather is either mink oil or even betterFiebings 4 way Care leather conditioner.
If I was to start again I think I would go prohunter.

They are the best in my humble opiion been stalking for nearly 38 years mine have built on braces (yes they are a bit heavy but hey ho arnt we all if it botherd me I could drop a few pounds like wise I would stop carring a 14lb Rifle) but the more fat and grease of the Deer you can get on them the better makes them more water proof never ever cleaned mine and are great with he rite boots Lundhags or Le Chameau etc,regards Bill

Kodiak for me and would buy another pair tomorrow despite the price tag if they were still available but harkila oryx look similar but without the lining

Am I missing something here I'm sure they're great trousers but isn't it important to keep the front dry? I don't often sit down whilst stalking.

As for trousers the Harkila stuff is good , I have the Kodiak leather ones for winter (I think they are discontinued now but there'll be something similar). Only criticism is as stated above they are heavy. As for washing them only once a year whether they need it or not and the best thing for the leather is either mink oil or even betterFiebings 4 way Care leather conditioner.
If I was to start again I think I would go prohunter.

To clarify, they are very water resistant, however with the wash out weather of late, they get wet if you crawl through a wet ditch as would most other trousers.

As for the sitting, unfortunately not all of my high seats are well sheltered and these trousers avoid the need to bring a towel to dry the seating area.

I like to be lightweight and mobile when stalking, suspect if you like lugging yourself about in heavy leather trousers that these are not for you.

Each to their own and all that.

Kind regards

BP

What stalking trousers do you recommend,I like the idea of the leather Harkila types.......whats good and whats bad please??

The quest for the holy grail. Ill be watching this thread as Im thinking about getting my self a pair of trousers. At present I wear plus 4's OK they get wet but that dosent realy matter as they re still warm when wet after the initial dunking. A mate I know has a pair of Sealand and swears by them.

nutty

norronna finskogen

I think that is how you spell it.
light & so fare totally waterproof.
they ain't cheep but up till now have been worth the money.
they were recommend to me by a FC ranger, he has been using them for a couple of years & they are out every day said that they have been the best they have used up till now.
John

Last edited:
Back