Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood tracking

Blood tracking

Thought someone would be interested in this article.
    http://www.thetroutbum.com/en/outdoo...9-ettersokhund

Still haven't decided what dog to go for to accompany me while stalking?
    Not to big, not to small? Like the look of HWVs.
    Friends have GWPs, Labs. Would like something different.

Paul

Get a Bavarian Mountain Hound, you will not regret it

Sikamalc

would love one, but got to persuade the other half.
    Paul

Bavarians

Excellent working dog but also a great temperament, make a great family dog too. The other benefit is not too big, so don't take up too much space on the sofa......unless you have 4 in which case, you have to buy another sofa.
    Regards
    ali

Paul
    don't rule out your labs just yet , as they are easy to train and more than capable of doing what you want them to, plus they are a multi purpose dog if you get the training right
    even know of several that hav won tri champion status (i think i hav that right)
    GSP's are also a craking choice, as are HWV
    but bavarian's are cute looking thou
    Ali you say
    you and all 4 Bav's on the couch together 'Wicked '
    go be brave any pics

Thanks for the info Sikamalc, Ali and Stone. Like everything I do I will spend ages researching and looking for what's available and then probably get it wrong.
    Paul

Paul
    one bit of advice i now heed
    what do you want the dog to do and how often
    that will give you a better idea on what you realy are after, then add into the equation if i get a good dog and train it well what or where else can you work it
    as most non professional stalkers may only need a dog a couple of times a year where as i professional or stalker that takes out clients for money or for free will possibly need a dog more frequently
    if you are shooting a lot of deer or in tough terrain again a dog will come into it's own
    not advising you on what you should or shouldn't do, just giving you a little more to think about

Bavarians

Paul,
    If you want to just come and see our dogs feel free, we have a quite a few people who do that. just to get a feel for the breed.
    Interestingly we also use labradors, and it is a matter of personal choice. ultimately you have to live with the dog and like it.
    We once had a teckel and if i lived to be a hundred , me and the little ......would never have got on.
    Stone, i'll try and get a cute bavarian picture to post, for you soft hearted stalkers.
    Regards
    ali

Re: Bavarians

Quote Originally Posted by paintandpins
    Paul,
    If you want to just come and see our dogs feel free, we have a quite a few people who do that. just to get a feel for the breed.
    Interestingly we also use labradors, and it is a matter of personal choice. ultimately you have to live with the dog and like it.
    We once had a teckel and if i lived to be a hundred , me and the little ......would never have got on.
    Stone, i'll try and get a cute bavarian picture to post, for you soft hearted stalkers.
    Regards
    ali
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to have fallen foul of a Teckel lol

I would love a bavarian also, but have 2 spaniels already and 2 small kids in a small house . The dogs are getting on a bit so they don't work as much as they used to.

the price of a bavarian was a bit of a shock when I enquired a while ago

As Stone says don't discount a lab either, I have whitnessed Sika, Stone's cracking little lab and she can certainly do the job!!!!!!!!! 8)

Regards

Jonathon