Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7x65R - any thoughts please

7x65R - any thoughts please

With a bit of luck I have managed to secure a Combination gun in 16 bore and 7x65R - the rimmed version of the 7x64. Can any body point me in the direction of:

Loaded ammunition

Reloading dies and reloading kit and suggestions for loads.

Cases - either new or used.

Appreciate that ammo is not that readily available and likely to be expensive - especially compared with .243 etc.

As regards reloading do I need a full size press or can you can make up good loads with a hand press?

Many thanks

Heym SR20

Nice find! I'm a little envious as double and combo guns are scarce as hen's teeth where I live.

I don't know much about the 7x65R but I took a look through "The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions" by Donnelly and it's written there that the cases can be made from 9.3x74R which is available from Midway. Donnelly suggests getting a set of forming dies from RCBS (Huntington Die) or the shoulder can be repositioned using a 33 Winchester FL die. I'd order the forming dies if I couldn't find the brass.

As to presses: If you're reforming then a bench press might be a good thing. If you can get brass then a hand press will work nicely. The bench-mounted monsters we see today emerged in the 1950's and there was plenty of reloading done before that!

Have fun! ~Muir

Thanks Muir - and to add to the jealousy follow this link

http://auctions.holtandcompany.co.uk...6404&saletype=

Has all the details.

Should be a lot of fun particulalry as have found a supply of ammo. Now have to debate whether to use a 156 gn bullet - flatter shooting, or just stick to the 176 gn thumpers.

Heym SR20

SD Regular
    Reloading dies are simply standard 7 x 64 dies but with the substitution of an appropriate shellholder for the differently shaped rimmed base. I would advise purchasing a good reloading press.

SD Regular
    Reloading dies are simply standard 7 x 64 dies but with the substitution of an appropriate shellholder for the differently shaped rimmed base. I would advise purchasing a good reloading press.

I thought that might be the case as well so I looked up the cartridge specs and while they are close, they are not identical. The standard 7x64 will neck size at best. The Rimmed version has a longer neck and more importantly, a steeper case taper which might make extraction sticky after a few reloadings. If I had the 7x64 dies I wouldn't hesitate to use them but I'd keep an eye towards these (and other, slight) dimensional differences.~Muir

The 7x65R has 3800 bar max pressure vs 4150bar for the 7x64, so a nice bit down. My german book has the following load data for the 7x65R.

Mail me if you can't read it all and I'll mail the pictures.
    psecomp@googlemail.com

edi

Thanks Gentlemen for all your help. Am picking it up tomorrow and can't wait.

Could have done with it on Tuesday evening - out looking for a buck that has been around for a while and is holding terratory in a small field next to a load of potatoes - was creeping down to the corner of the potatoe field when a fox pocked his head out of a row 5 yards in front of me - saw me and ran off towards the buck - if I had the shotgun he was a dead fox!

Hello
    I`m using the 7x65R in a Suhler Drilling (side-by-side shotgun with a rifle underneath). I shot two roe bucks this March with the 11.2gr (=173grs) SPCE from S&B. Auccuracy is very good for this cheap ammunition which is produced in CZ. Two other bucks I shot with the ID Classic from RWS. The problem was that the "holes" were too big, and -not to forget- it also costs almost three times as much!
    Greetings from Deutschland,
    ALex

Thanks Alex,

Over here the RWS and S&B seem to both be priced at around £35 per box of 20. Have you had any luck with the 156 gn bullet? My thinking is that is bit flatter shooting and thus may be better for more open hill use, but looking at the balistic tables this probably only becomes an issue after 150 m plus.

What are most German 7x65Rs regulated to?

And do you know anything about Heinrich Munch (Aarchen) - I think it looks as if he was a dealer who had guns built by somebody else and with his name put on them. Very much like most English small gunmakers - who sourced from the likes of webley etc and then finished them on the premises.

Many thanks

Heym SR20